• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unlock phone to straight talk

i am thinking about buying a new phone and switching from metro to st. is this a good idea? i wan the oppo find 5 if anyone cares. it seems to me that itd be better to get the tmobile sim as there are less issues with internet cancellation issues. on the oppo website, it says the find 5 is compatible with tmobile, att, and simple mobile, so for st, i could get either the att or tmobile sim and either would work without unlock or anything? i would get full speed data connection? (i would get tmobile as it has good service in my area and the internet cancelation issues with att). also, would i need to do anything with apn?

any thoughts on if its worth switching from metro to st?
i know its a lot of questions but the st forum is tiny and not may answers.

realized all my questions dont apply to this thread so i started a new one please reply there thank you.

Upvote 0
It seems most people use AT&T or TMobile with ST. Is anyone using Verizon? Someone told me he could only find one phone available for purchase to use with the Verizon ST network, but I saw a listing on Ebay for $100 to remotely flash to the phone I have (HTC Inc 2) using a ST LG phone you have to purchase (for around $50).

Does anyone know if this is legit, or if there is another way I would be able to use my current phone with ST? My contract w/Verizon isn't up until May, but my screen is cracked and I'd like to just replace it with another Inc 2 since I like the phone, but I am seriously considering switching to ST in May so that wouldn't make sense if I end up having to buy a new phone for ST.

Upvote 0
The reason most people use ATT or Tmo is because they use SIM cards so its just a matter of getting either the appropriate GSM phone or unlocking a GSM phone and you're good to go. To use Verizon's network on ST there is only one ST phone that uses Verizon's network and so not many people choose it.

Don't know if the flashing thing is legit or not, but personally for me its not worth it. Unless you absolutely need Verizon's coverage I'd think the long run benefit would be to get a GSM phone, then you have carrier freedom.

Upvote 0
The ST sim card system is a different thing.
Of all the ST phones that are sold. Only the Nokia phones have unlocked sims.
Buying the sim cards from the ST web sight is far cheaper and a better way to get the sim. But my information is not outdated.

So I can't use my current ST sim in a new unlocked phone? I need to buy one of the ATT ST Sims?

Upvote 0
FYI

It seems ST and AT&T have something going on right now..........????????????

ST has taken all references to AT&T off their website and are not selling AT&T BYOD sim cards any more. What all this means is not known as i type this. I am sure we will all have a better idea in the near future though. Lots of "thoughts" about this on other forums but a huge lack of solid info right now.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a SIM card from ST....With my zip code and an unlocked phone that I don't have yet, it gave me T-Mobile?

How do I transfer my contacts when I activate the new phone?

Thanks!

If your old phone is an Android, and your contacts are associated with your Google account, just login to your Google account on the new phone and they'll automatically sync.

Upvote 0
i am confused. I have st/at&t right now. If i want to upgrade my phone, should i get att locked phone, or att unlocked phone? Can i just move my current sim card to the new phone or do i need to get another sim card? If i have to get a new one, will i have to move over to the t mobile network? Should i get locked or unlocked t mobile phone instead?

Upvote 0
You can just move your Straight Talk AT&T SIM card to another phone, which can either be locked to AT&T, or unlocked.

they said sim card is locked to phone. Plus, if you go more than few months w/o service or port your number out and then return, you need a new sim. So, best to use unlocked phone, and if you really want to stay on att , you can get a net10/att sim. Cost is $5 more per month, but you can cut that with auto pay or with net 10 family plan. Since tracfone/net 10/st is 25% owned by at&t, it just goes to show how dumb and greedy the att management is. At&t had a 41% profit margin last year while verizon was around 50%. Share plans with those two mean data charge rip-off, so share your paycheck/income!!!!

Upvote 0
Hey everyone I have a problem I was hoping to get help with. I hace an HTC one s that been locked on tmobile but has been letting me txt n call wit the straight talk sim I bought. Well I just bought the unlock code but I've no idea how to get the unlock screen up to put the code in? Any help please

If your st sim is via t mobile, then you do not need the unlock code. So, get a sim from somebody who has at&t, and when you put their sim into your phone, it will prompt you to enter the unlock code. Once you do, the phone is then unlocked.

Upvote 0
Hey so I put an at&t sim card in and did the unlock and it said it worked so I put my straight talk card back in but nothings changed

The apn settings can vary depending on the phone. Various members of this site had different settings work on different phones. We could not get the att go phone zte998 lte to send or receive pics until we stumbled upon this :
apn:tfdata
mmsc:http://mms-tf.net
mms proxy:66.209.11.33
mms port:80
mcc:310
mnc:410
apn type:default,mms,supl

The apn type was the key addition to getting the pics to work with the att sim on net 10.

Upvote 0
Someone please help me! i have a phone that is with straighttalk.i want to change the phone to a new phone but it is a galaxy s3 sprint pcs phone.i looked online to see if the phone is compatible with straight talk and it said yes.i had some troubles online,so i contacted a live person on the straighttalk hotline and they told me that since its sprint pcs that its not compatible...i really want to change from my old phone to this new phone from sprint pcs but i want to stay with straight talk,because the new phone that has sprint pcs is very slow with whatever the textnow service it has on it...anyway can i somehow unlock the phone to make it straighttalk compatible?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones