• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlock phone

A

Android Question

my HtC was set up by an ex partner who bought my phone as a present. my son has attempted to unlock phone to many times now my phone is locked.
i have tried signing on with my goggle account no luck on phone but have been bale to sign in on goggle with no problems on laptop.

So how do i unlock phone now???

It wants the google account of the phone, not your google account. If you haven't changed the account, ask the ex partner what the login and password are.

If you don't know the account the phone is on, you can do a factory reset. Warning: This will return the phone to the original factory state - ALL data will be lost, including pictures, videos, etc.

Boot into recovbery (usually volume+/home/power or, if the phone has a camera button and no physical home button, volume+/camera/power. You'll get a menu, one item of which is factory reset. This will put the lock screen in swipe mode. Swipe left to right to unlock. But again, everything on the phone will be lost, so it's a drastic step. Some phone repair shops can get into the phone with specialized hardware and eliminate the need for a password to unlock, but unless you're a good customer, most shops won't do it for free.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones