1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unlock woes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by artbytes, Jan 1, 2015.

1. artbytes

artbytes Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    I have an ATT GS3 that's eligible to be unlocked by ATT. (I want to use this phone overseas with a native SIM card when I travel.) ATT did send a code and instructions, but it never worked for whatever reason. It also says that if you try 5 times and fail, that the phone will be permanently locked to ATT. So far I've tried 4 times and am really nervous about trying the 5th time and failing.

Does anyone know a more foolproof way to unlock? I have used online services before, and they worked, but now they seem to be charging a LOT of money.

I have never rooted a phone before, but would that be a good idea if the 5th try fails to unlock the phone? Does that erase all of the ATT imposed restrictions, such as not allowing the phone to be used for tethering? Overseas, I'll have a card that should allow that.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    Rooting doesn't do anything but give you administrator access to your phone. It allows you to modify system files and yes you can install apps that allow you to tether for free. It allows you to delete carrier bloatware and stuff. It also gives you the ability to completely mess up your phone. I'd recommend reading up on it before you do it.

I don't see it helping your unlocking issues.

Good luck.

BynoUK and Unforgiven like this.