1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unlock your LG G3 with TWRP!--Verizon-and others!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mikestony, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member Thread Starter

dkl1, ADRIANPG and pastafarian like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

I'm just way too excited!!
    I just installed TWRP v. 2.8.0.0!!
    Nandroid backing up as we speak!!!!!

Edit: done!
    Now I need not worry about trying different /system changes...me gots me a nandroid backup!!

ok, I'm done:p

I'm telling ya, those guys over at XDA can do some amazing work!!

Finally, TWRP for the Verizon (and others) device!!!

dkl1 likes this.
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Android Enthusiast

FastKatt and Mikestony like this.
  4. markfm

markfm Member

If you have a large external sd card you may run into difficulty doing a twrp nandroid backup to it.

If you can live with a 4GB single file size limit (Likely only exceeded in rare cases, like hd movies), reformatting to fat will make the sd both visible to TWRP and the normal system.

TWRP has a built in format capability.

Backup anything on your external sd.

Launch twrp

Select wipe

Select advanced wipe

Check the external_sd box from the list of volumes.

Select repair or change file system.

Select change file system

Select fat

When TWRP is done, reboot to system, restore files you had backed up in the first step.

ADRIANPG and Mikestony like this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Member

Flashify is the way to go. Just be sure you select recovery image, not boot, or even both. Once you select the correct file, grant the SU request and tell it yes, it takes maybe 10 seconds and up comes the TWRP screen. I rebooted my system from TWRP, used Quickboot to reboot into recovery and up came TWRP. I then backed up my existing system. The whole process, including TWRP file download didn't take more than a couple of minutes total. The backup took a couple of more minutes. But it looks like you can go from file download to backed up TWRP in about five minutes total.

I selected the TWRP file on my SD card. The XDA OP says put it on internal storage, but that is also oriented toward using ADB and your PC.

6. ADRIANPG

ADRIANPG Newbie

My nandroid backup is 4.45gb. I haven't debloated, just froze most of the bloatware and have about 75 user apps. I was successful in manually moving the twrp backup folder to ext sd and back to internal. I checked that twrp recognized no file present and then present. It would be nice to have the option in twrp though. Does this change of ext sd card to fat32 affect the sd card fix for the problems with writing to ext sd that kit kat caused?

7. markfm

markfm Member

I do not know. I had applied one of the various external sd card patches done time ago, no problem since then, still okay after TWRP. I can read and write to the sd fine.

My TWRP backup was a healthy size, too, however it splits the backup across multiple files. My largest file was only around 1.5GB.

Mikestony likes this.
  8. Mikestony

9. markfm

markfm Member

I believe the app I used was sdfix from nextapp on the Play store.

Install it, run it, then it is okay to uninstall. It patches a file, as Mike mentioned.

dkl1 and Mikestony like this.
  10. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie

Finally, we're going to see some ROM action for this phone and about time! Personally, I'm more than good with what I'm able to do with basic (stump) root access. Still, I look forward to what the devs will bring.

11. ADRIANPG

ADRIANPG Newbie

Mine says it failed. unable to wipe or change sd.

12. markfm

markfm Member

No idea why. My card is a 64GB Samsung IIRC, the built-in TWRP format change function worked well (others have reported the same, positive, result).

You could try formatting the card directly on your PC, Windows or Mac. I've seen several apps referenced as being used to do so.

ADRIANPG and Mikestony like this.
  13. ADRIANPG

ADRIANPG Newbie

thanks, used mini partition tool to wipe sd card and leave file type as unallocated. then used twrp to create fat. works great.

Mikestony likes this.
  14. markfm

markfm Member

Cool -- always good to solve a problem :)
    Is the tool you used something off of Play Store? (Or something n TWRP itself, just that I hadn't needed it)

15. ADRIANPG

ADRIANPG Newbie

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    here is the link if you want to check it out. It is a pc program recommended in many tutorials on how to partition your sd card for use with the link2sd app.
    I had an lg optimus f7 with 1.3 gb of internal storage. link2sd was a lifesaver. don't need it with the g3 but thought I would keep it around just in case.

it can be used to create a Linux swap partition for virtual ram. but, after reading about it and seeing how back and forth people are on the subject I decided not to try that.

markfm likes this.
  16. Ilya

Ilya Android Enthusiast

Finally I can do a nandroid backup (on my AT&T phone). Bout time.

17. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

Yep, was able to do one last evening - nice!

18. markfm

markfm Member

dkl1, iowabowtech and Mikestony like this.
  19. Mikestony

Nice find markfm!! :thumbup:
    I'll add that link to the root guide too ;)

dkl1 and iowabowtech like this.
  20. markfm

markfm Member

dkl1 and Mikestony like this.
  21. Ilya

Ilya Android Enthusiast

I too have been able to do one. I had to install the LG drivers and ADB but otherwise it was quite easy.

Now I can install XPosed without worrying about blowing something away...and hopefully tether. WOOOOT!

Mikestony and dkl1 like this.
  22. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

I haven't ventured into the X-Posed framework thing...yet. I will want to have a good step-by-step how-to to follow before attempting. If anyone knows of a link to a good one please share if possible! Thanks. :smokingsomb:

23. Mikestony

Xposed - General info, versions & changelog - XDA Forums

There's also a YT video link there also;)

24. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

Done!

LG G3 Forum

The LG G3 release date was June 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2/3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

June 2014
Release Date
Reviews