• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
FWIW I've read a few reports here on AF that Sprint's MSL(Master Subsidy Lock) can be particularly nasty to deal with. Which I can't really help you with of course. But I think there's actually the SIM-lock to deal with. As well as them been locked to a Sprint proxy, and this proxy lock(MSL) means they can't connect to the Internet without a valid Sprint SIM, even on WiFi apparently.

I've seen imported Sprint branded phones been offered for sale here in China, which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the Coolpad Illumina? Looking at the radio specs, I don't think this phone is going to work outside of the US, even if it was unlocked.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Coolpad-illumina_id11029
CDMA: 800, 1900 MHz
LTE (FDD): Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 25, 26

No GSM, no 3G, and the LTE looks like it's North America bands only.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
What do i need to do to get it unlock

Attachments

• coolpad.jpg
    coolpad.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 2,751
Upvote 0
What do i need to do to get it unlock

Yeh I'm sure that's Coolpad Illumina. Quite frankly I don't think it's possible, other than officially unlocking it via Boost or Sprint. Also from the specs I posted, AFAICT this phone is just NOT going to work in Nigeria, end of. Its very much a USA only phone, and nothing can be done with it. Carrier networks in Africa, use pretty much the same bands and modes as Europe and Asia.

It's only a budget, very low-end phone anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Is there any update on how my sprint cool pad3310A can work here in Nigeria

Nope, no change. It's still a CDMA phone intended just for certain carriers in the US. And nothing anyone can do to change that. It's not a question of unlocking it. This thing doesn't have the radios in it for anywhere but the United States, that's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lo70del and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
In this day and age, there really isn't such a thing as a "CDMA only" smartphone. SoC manufacturers implement technology standards for both CDMA and GSM into modern basebands. The Coolpad Illumina (3310a) is no exception to this rule of thumb. The device is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 210 (msm8909) board platform (SoC), which has long supported both GSM and CDMA technology standards in a vast myriad of smartphones. I've synced the 3310a to Qualcomm's QPST/QXDM diagnostic software and have verified support for the following network standards:

Modem: Snapdragon X5 LTE Modem
Downlink: LTE Cat 4
Carrier Aggregation: 2 x 10 MHz
Downlink QAM: Up to 64 QAM

CELLULAR TECHNOLOGY:
• LTE-FDD
• LTE-TDD
• LTE Broadcast
• WCDMA (DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA)
• TD-SCDMA
• CDMA 1X
• EV-DO
• GSM/EDGE

GSM (Quad-Band):
850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Bands:
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

4G Bands:
Band 1 (2100 MHz) IMT
Band 2 (1900 MHz) PCS
Band 3 (1800+ MHz) DCS
Band 4 (1700 MHz) AWS
Band 5 (850 MHz) CLR
Band 7 (2600 MHz) IMT-E
Band 8 (900 MHz) E-GSM
Band 12 (700 MHz) Lower SMH
Band 13 (700 MHz) Upper SMH
Band 25 (1900 MHz) Extended PCS
Band 26 (850 MHz) Extended CLR
Band 41 (2500 MHz) LTE-TDD BRS/EBS

(NOTE: Some of the above bands are supported by the device SoC itself, but were not specifically enabled by the OEM, per protocol of the branded mobile provider(s). Bands 1, 3, 7 & 8 can be enabled via QPST/QXDM by modifying NV data parameters. This is an extremely tedious process and requires at least a rudimentary knowledge of binary and hex coding. Enabling these bands is not required unless your preferred GSM provider utilizes them. In such an event, there are some excellent tutorials over at XDA for enabling LTE bands on Qualcomm based devices, which provide links to the software and utilities you'll need as well as comprehensive instructions for the process).

Ok, now for the tricky part. To "network/SIM unlock" the Illumina 3310a, the MSL code will be needed (there may be other ways with which to do it, but I am aware of only this method). If your device is Boost Mobile branded, the MSL code can be obtained simply by activating the device on the Boost Mobile website.
https://www.boostmobile.com/
Adding funds (topping up) is not necessary. Select ACTIVATE on Boost Mobile's website, enter your device ID info, provide your name and other required personal info, select a monthly prepaid plan, then opt to add funds later. Once the preliminary activation process is completed, dial ##72786# and select YES from the SCRTN window. Your device will reboot and then configure for voice and data services, effectively activating your phone. A phone number will be assigned in accordance with the location information you entered previously. Now go back to the Boost Mobile website and log in using your credentials. On the DASHBOARD will be your phone number, name, service plan info and your 6-digit MSL code. Once you have it, go to your dialer and enter ##3282#, select APN SETTINGS from the menu, select EDIT, and enter your MSL code when prompted. Now complete all fields in accordance with the network specs of the GSM provider you wish to use. Next, insert your activated GSM SIM card into your device ("hotplugging"), open your dialer, enter ##72786# and select YES once again. Upon reboot your device will recognize your SIM and configure for voice and data services. (If necessary, open your radio control panel by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, scroll down to PREFERRED NETWORK, and select LTE/GSM auto (PRL), or Global auto (PRL). My device done this automatically for both AT&T & Cricket SIM cards; however, setting the Preferred Network manually may be required for some GSM providers.) At this point you should have cellular signal and a data connection. Also, in SETTINGS>MOBILE NETWORK, your carrier name should be listed and the option to edit APN settings will be enabled should you need to change any parameters to coincide with your carrier's specifications. (The carrier name "HOME" is listed when I use a Cricket SIM.)
I can only confirm that AT&T & Cricket SIM cards work using this method. But in theory, any GSM SIM should work, so long as your carrier's supported bands are in accord with the bands listed above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately Boost does not display the MSL number on the web page once you activate.
Maybe they changed it since the post was created.
I logged into my Boost account and even done a preliminary activation of an old Boost device. You're correct, it appears that Boost Mobile no longer lists the device's six-digit MSL upon activation. (Virgin Mobile also provided MSL upon activation, but not sure if they still do either.)
An alternative trick to getting your MSL is to use a simple logcat reader. CatLog from the Play Store will suffice. Install the app and commence a running log. Now go to your dialer and enter into the ##3282# programming menu. Choose any option, LTE Band Priority, for example, and select one of the fields as though you want to Edit (Not View). When prompted for your MSL code, enter any six-digit number to trigger the INCORRECT MSL notification. Now go back to LogCat and opt to manually filter the log using the search query. Type the phrase MSL and LogCat will display the string reference upon which you entered an incorrect MSL. Within that string, however, your actual MSL should be displayed. (I have not confirmed that this works on the Coolpad 3310a, but have used this on a number of Android devices to obtain my MSL.)

Upvote 0
A tool sounds interesting. What also sounds interesting is understanding where this MSL code comes from. Some info I've found talks about it being a hash generated from a unique id of the phone like the IMEI number. But I really don't know. It could be a number which is programmed into flash at build time or sent via OTA at activation. In any case, what this exercise is telling me is that the process to use a smartphone in a different way than what the provider intended is far too complex for the average user.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones