1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unlocked Atrix 2 Italy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vsa209, Sep 30, 2013.

1. vsa209

vsa209 Lurker

Hi All!

I am currently studying a year abroad in Florence, Italy and at&t graciously unlocked my atrix 2 so I could buy an Italian sim/service while i'm away.

I got a plan with TIM, a popular service provider, and pay a monthly rate so I can have a fully functioning phone. The problem is that phone calls and texts seem to work except for the phone's ability to access internet data when i'm not in a wifi zone.

I have zero phone knowledge and was wondering if this is something that could maybe be fixed? Is there a discrepancy in frequency needs? I read online TIM frequency is 1800?

Any advice on what I can try doing would be greatly appreciated. I have some tech friends that can handle complicated fixings, if that's the case!

Best,
    Veronica

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Hi there, Veronica, and welcome to Android Forums. :)

I have an Atrix 2, too...however I've never used it outside the US, and I really can't help with the issues you're experiencing. I just didn't want you to think your post had fallen into a black hole if no one replies! You see, unfortunately, our board is rather dead. :eek: Let me see if I can round up some help...

vsa209 likes this.
  3. zapjb

zapjb Well-Known Member

I'd think it's the APN settings. 90% sure. Every provider has different APNs. Ask TIM what their's are.

Menu - System Settings - Data usage/More... - Mobile networks -
    Access Point Names -

From there TIM should or you'll be able to enter TIM's specific APNs.

vsa209 likes this.
  4. vsa209

vsa209 Lurker

Thanks for the replies! I added what I believe is the correct APN setting. Is it possible I have to do something dramatic like rooting the phone and adding a custom ROM so it can be more compatible? If so, any custom ROM suggestions for the atrix 2? I'm fairly tech competent with good instructions...maybe...

5. zapjb

zapjb Well-Known Member

I do not believe you would acquire more compatibility with TIM if you rooted & used a custom ROM.

But there are far more reasons to root.