• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked Bootloader - I think so!!

2. i wouldn't be surprised if they're referring to future phones only

HTC's official statement...

HTC said:
"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

Upvote 0
Thats awasome!!! After emailing all the top guns at HTC a few days ago, I wake up to this email from Peter Chou at HTC:

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your support to htc. We hear your concern. And we take it seriously and now we will unlock it.
Our original intent was to reduce the potential quality problem when user upgrade their phone.
Any way we will unlock it. Customer satisfaction is very important for us and we want you have a good experience when you deal with htc.
Thanks again for your support.

Best Regards.

Peter

Made my day and then some!!!

Talk about calling the White House and having the President answer the phone! :)

Upvote 0
All that is left is for HTC to amend the rules of how you can use your phone so even when you root your phone it is still covered by insurance and warranty

You have to be fair to the manufacturer here. What you are saying is that you can do absolutely anything to your phone and you want insurance/warranty to cover it???? That is somewhat off base if you think about it. What if you put a 200 shot of nitrous on your car....would you expect the warranty to cover it if you burned a hole in a piston??? Of course not. You are certainly free to do what you wish to your phone but if you go "outside the lines"....ie root, then you are responsible if you screw it up. That is only fair and reasonable. Now if you root and the hardware breaks, then it should be covered....if that is what you are talking about....since rooting has nothing to do with the hardware.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it would seem so Early, but I received the exact same email, word for word about ten hours ago. Even if it is a mass reply, still adds a bit of a personal touch.

I replied to it though with questions about recovery and kernel signing...hope to hear back on that, or that we hear sooner rather than later. Would it seem dumb to unlock the bootloader and keep other areas locked down? Sure, but would you put it past really any company at this point?

Upvote 0
Here is a link with the email people have been getting HTC EVO 3D bootloader to be unlocked

It's vague to say the least "Any way we will unlock it." So will it ship unlocked or will they unlock it ota or just release the keys is the big question.

As long as they do, indeed, follow through and unlock it, I will be happy. It may be an OTA thing as mentioned by several members before this good news even appeared. :)

I am riding a rush of excitement about this right now. Haha. :D

Upvote 0
Android is kinda like a PC in that you normally do things from a user account, but if you want to do fancy stuff, you need an admin account.

Getting admin account access on Android is called rooting your phone (because the admin user name = root).

With the bootloader locked down the way they had, many customizations would have been impossible for us.

More info on the ins, outs, and descriptive terms here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html

Rooting and customizing isn't everyone's cup of tea, most people are happy with their phones right out of the box.

For many of us, those customizations make or break the enjoyment of our Android use.

The above link will help clarify.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones