1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unlocked Bootloader vs S-OFF

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by esmith818, Dec 29, 2011.

1. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast

Could someone briefly explain to me (or point me to the correct thread) what the difference is between an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF? I keep seeing references to the HTCDev site allowing the Rezound to be unlocked but not removing S-OFF.

On the surface, it seems like once the phone's bootloader is unlocked, this phone is on equal footing with the Nexus (in terms of VZW phones ready for custom ROMs). But with all the chatter about S-OFF still out of reach, I'm not sure what limitations that poses.

:thinking:

EDIT: I read through the "HTCDev.com Unlock - Perm Root - Amon Ra or CWM Recovery" thread, but I didn't see anything that explained the difference between unlocked bootloader and S-OFF in regards to what each thing "controls".

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Android Enthusiast

With the unlocked bootloader you can change roms and remove apps ,but can not change radios. With S-off you can change or remove almost anything including radios. :D

esmith818, PMTerp and trophynuts like this.
  3. budmonster

budmonster Guest

What does changing the radio actually do? What can be the benefits?

Also if I use that htcdev to unlock my phone does vzw really find out? If you unroot and remove everything there should be no problem?

Next question whats the easiest way to unroot?

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Eventually, there will be radio updates for the phone. Everything always updates.

S-ON/OFF means certain things (radios and kernels) have to have an encrypted signature to flash.

The community is already able to flash radios for other HTC phones unlocked with S-ON via HTCdev, so I think the Rezound community hasn't picked up the tricks yet.

When radio updates become available, there will be flashing instructions for them, S-ON notwithstanding.

You can already flash a new kernel for example.

At present, there is no way to unroot the Rezound (unless it's come out while I've typed this, things are moving along nice and fast :)).

Edit - happy to admit that I was wrong on the last bit. See Mr Smith's advice in how to unroot thread.

esmith818 likes this.

HTC Rezound Forum

The HTC Rezound release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1620mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews