• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlocked Bootloader vs S-OFF

esmith818

Android Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2009
NC
Could someone briefly explain to me (or point me to the correct thread) what the difference is between an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF? I keep seeing references to the HTCDev site allowing the Rezound to be unlocked but not removing S-OFF.

On the surface, it seems like once the phone's bootloader is unlocked, this phone is on equal footing with the Nexus (in terms of VZW phones ready for custom ROMs). But with all the chatter about S-OFF still out of reach, I'm not sure what limitations that poses.

:thinking:

EDIT: I read through the "HTCDev.com Unlock - Perm Root - Amon Ra or CWM Recovery" thread, but I didn't see anything that explained the difference between unlocked bootloader and S-OFF in regards to what each thing "controls".

Eventually, there will be radio updates for the phone. Everything always updates.

S-ON/OFF means certain things (radios and kernels) have to have an encrypted signature to flash.

The community is already able to flash radios for other HTC phones unlocked with S-ON via HTCdev, so I think the Rezound community hasn't picked up the tricks yet.

When radio updates become available, there will be flashing instructions for them, S-ON notwithstanding.

You can already flash a new kernel for example.

At present, there is no way to unroot the Rezound (unless it's come out while I've typed this, things are moving along nice and fast :)).

Edit - happy to admit that I was wrong on the last bit. See Mr Smith's advice in how to unroot thread.

Reactions: esmith818
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones