1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Unlocked Bootloader

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zombie droid, Jan 5, 2012.

1. zombie droid

zombie droid Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    I've unlocked the bootloader on this device and I'm not getting prompted for Superuser. The first question I'm working to address is getting Superuser to recognize itself. I remember that if Superuser is not installed as part of rooting that putting in after the fact requires superuser to give itself permissions but I don't recall how. Once I figure it out I will post here in case anyone else is going this route as opposed to waiting for someone to "root" the device. Please feel free to post your findings or ask for clarification on any information that is gathered here.

"Have fun with your droids folks!!! P.S. Don't leave out the zombies!!!"

Does anyone have any suggestions on confirming the bootloader is unlocked?

Tried pushing the Superuser.apk using adb shell and got "Partition write protected" error or something along those lines. I'm really wondering if I'm even unlocked at this point or perhaps if I've misunderstood what the unlock truly allows. I got the unlock disclaimer on the phone and everything, and yes I hit yes to the disclaimer. LOL

Advertisement

2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

Rooting and unlocking the bootloader are two separate entities. One has no effect on the other. I posted a link to a working root for the Design that does not require unlocking the bootloader.

And as for knowing if it is unlocked, booting into the bootloader will display an "unlocked" watermark. Unlocking is for further modification, such as kernel, recovery and something else. There is no need for it at this moment as there are no dedicated ROMs for this yet. Recovery is still in testing and they are trying to build a Clockwork Mod for it.

zombie droid likes this.
  3. zombie droid

zombie droid Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Thanks! I was beginning to suspect that but a thread I had read for another HTC was suggesting it would allow the same accessibility as root... Thanks again for confirming my suspicions!

4. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

Okay I should clarify that in our case it isn't necessary. Previously with a few HTC phones, unlocking was the way to root. We are one of the lucky ones to have a dev find a way around it for our phone. Some others have gotten lucky as well.

If the dev working on our phone finds a way to do S-Off (security off), this will remove the need for unlocking altogether and saving us the voided warranty watermark, if Sprint should care at some point down the line. This will enable access to everything needed to mod the hell out of the phone.

zombie droid likes this.