1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unlocked Galaxy Nexus worth it at $349?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by frankied22, Jun 28, 2012.

1. frankied22

frankied22 Newbie

I am looking to switch to android after using iPhones for 3 years, and was wondering if the unlocked GNex is worth it at $349? Or should I just get the SGIII with my AT&T upgrade? Buying unlocked sounds good but in reality, being in the US, I'm not really gaining anything. Plus GNex is older hardware now and from what I've seen the camera and screen sort of suck. However, being able to get updates on time straight from Google definitely sounds good.

Advertisement

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

I still think it's a great deal but you're right that buying unlocked in the US doesn't gain you much. As to the screen, I think it's amazing. Have you seen this closeup?:
    [​IMG]

9to5cynic likes this.
  3. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

uhhhhh If you buy the GSM G Nex from the Play store you're guaranteed that you'll see updates faster than the SGS3 also no bloat ware.

4. Orion

Orion Android Expert

$349 for an awesome phone like the GN is a major steal in my book.

5. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

I so wish VZW users had this flexibility. 349$ for a top tier android phone that you know will give you 2 years of good use? Not to mention that is an Unsubsidized price.

6. aurora40

aurora40 Android Enthusiast

It was worth it at $399 running 4.0.4. At $349 and running 4.1? No-brainer...

7. asheehanjr

asheehanjr Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I buy the GNexus from the Play Store, do they offer some type of insurance for the phone like the carriers do? Just in case something happens. I'm going to b using mine on Straight Talk and I don't know if there insurance will cover it. Also what type of sim card does it use? Thanks

8. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

I think it's definitely worth even $399 like before. GSM radio works better than CDMA in Nexus. Straight update from Google. Can be used without contract on prepaid plan. So what's not to like it?

GSIII has better hardware but it comes with bloats, 2 years contract unless you buy expensive international one. Seriously I'm considering doing this when next Nexus phone comes out and is available on Play store.

9. frankied22

frankied22 Newbie

I went ahead and ordered one. I'm really looking forward to having the pure google experience with JB. The only things that suck are the camera and screen are not as good as my iPhone. Also, going from 32gb storage to only 16 will take some getting used to...

10. ButterDroid

ButterDroid Lurker

11. shark974

shark974 Well-Known Member

Insurance is a rip anyway. Last I had it on ATT it was up to $7 a month. Over say, two years that's $168. Then on top of that, it's not like they replace your phone free, there is a hefty deductible, a deductible they tend to keep raising. Last I checked it was $125 on the lower end phones and $200 on the nice phones.

So yeah, $200 deductible, $7 a month, you can see that you might as well chance it and buy another $349 Gnex or something should you break it. Or maybe get a used phone off ebay even cheaper.

I have a Captivate I may keep around as a second phone, just to tide me over if I drop mine or anything, since I bet I couldn't get more than like $80 for it on ebay anyway.

In life in general, in most cases insurance is not a good deal. Just like those extended warranties Best Buy tries to sell you are a rip off. The concept is called self insuring. Self insuring your phone (EG, you buy/find another one if it breaks) is the smart thing.

Only major exception I could see is if you are in a line of work where your phone is more likely to break due to working conditions or something like that.

asheehanjr likes this.
  12. blahblahyoutoo

blahblahyoutoo Well-Known Member

you gain the ability to go to any carrier you like contract free, like the t-mobile $30 or $50 pre-paid plans, ATT, or other MVNO's (as opposed to $70 contract plans).

13. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

I made that move from an iPhone 4 to a GNex two months ago or so and I paid 429 for mine. It was just before it was available at the play store. The SGIII and the iPhone 5 were on the horizon, but having an unlocked phone and not having to be a slave to ATT was well worth it. I really don't see a huge difference in the GNex and the SGIII. I say go for it. I would make the same move today.

14. server181

server181 Newbie

this should be a no brainer, my man. this phones is extremely fast, especially that now jelly bean is out, i flashed it on and the phone is just as fast as a S3.. and it will get updates before any other phones will.. i paid double of this price back in december

15. Aokusman

Aokusman Member

Seems to me that you answered your own question.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews
Tags: