• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked my Desire - Sim card error

.Griff.

Aug 4, 2010
Sorry in advance if this is a typical question but I'm slightly panicking that I've got a very expensive brick in my hands.

I've just purchased a HTC Desire that was an unwanted upgrade by somebody on T-Mobile. As I'm an O2 customer I did a bit of research and found a website offering unlocking codes that seemed to have a good reputation.

I gave them the IMEI number, the network it was locked to and paid. Minutes later I received the unlock code/pin and followed the instructions to the letter, I.E Insert O2 sim, wait for the phone to request unlock pin, and enter it.

I did this and the phone went to the main screen. However in the top left hand corner there is a triangle with an exclamation mark in it and if I try and manually use the O2 network I get "Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network".

Have I made a basic mistake or is the phone still locked?

Sorry in advance if this is a typical question but I'm slightly panicking that I've got a very expensive brick in my hands.

I've just purchased a HTC Desire that was an unwanted upgrade by somebody on T-Mobile. As I'm an O2 customer I did a bit of research and found a website offering unlocking codes that seemed to have a good reputation.

I gave them the IMEI number, the network it was locked to and paid. Minutes later I received the unlock code/pin and followed the instructions to the letter, I.E Insert O2 sim, wait for the phone to request unlock pin, and enter it.

I did this and the phone went to the main screen. However in the top left hand corner there is a triangle with an exclamation mark in it and if I try and manually use the O2 network I get "Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network".

Welcome to the forum.
Try turning your phone off & then back on again, see if that helps.
If not you may have to go to the o2 website & get the settings for your phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I've restarted the phone a few times and I've just tried a Vodafone sim card as well.

It stills tells me the sim card does not allow a connection to this network however. I've spoken to O2 and they suggest that the phone is still locked to T-Mobile.

Is there any way of telling if the unlock pin has worked and if it is still locked to T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I've restarted the phone a few times and I've just tried a Vodafone sim card as well.

It stills tells me the sim card does not allow a connection to this network however. I've spoken to O2 and they suggest that the phone is still locked to T-Mobile.

Is there any way of telling if the unlock pin has worked and if it is still locked to T-Mobile?

If you are getting the same error with different operator SIMs, it very much looks like your phone is still locked to T-Mobile.

If I were you, I'd perhaps take a trip down the Hight Street to a T-Mobile shop and ask the staff if you could borrow a T-Mobile SIM for a minute. If the phone then works, that's fairly conclusive evidence.

Upvote 0

I can only think that your phone isn't compatible with your carrier's network. Another scenrio is that you might have a bad ESN, I'd do what mikebell said and try it on Tmo to confirm it's operational.

Upvote 0

I had this same thing on the HTC Aria which was locked to AT&T. After I paid $30 for the unlock code and tried numerous SIMs I was going insane. In the process of trying absolutely everything from factory reset to rooting I came across the solution. Basically there is a lock on using another SIM in a second fashion and it needs to cleared. I purchased my phone used so I don't know if this is something AT&T does with the Aria or is something the previous user did. Anyway, you need to boot into HBOOT which on the Aria is holding down the Volume Down button and Power at the same time. Once you get to the HBOOT screen scroll down to the SIM lock option. Select that and it will do 3 commands (2 which said they failed) and reboot. After the reboot my network (T-mobile was recognized within 30 seconds).

Reactions: .Griff.
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones