1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Unlocked New G2 on amazon for 299.00, worth it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by araxxis, Jan 17, 2015.

1. araxxis

araxxis Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2014
    Hi i am planning on going to cricket wireless within the next couple of weeks, my LTE service is bad with virgin and cricket is offering 100 dollar credit to customers switching from virgin so i figured id give it a shot.

Anyways onto my question. Here is the phone on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/LG-Unlocked-Q...&ie=UTF8&qid=1421500872&sr=1-3&keywords=lg+g2

Its a brand new G2 branded with ATT (i like this cause i know it will work, being that cricket uses ATT towers) as well as unlocked. I will probably apply for the credit card too which makes the phone 270 after the 30 dollars off instantly promo.

I have been kind of on the fence on what phone to buy, i have narrowed it down to the G2/G3/Htc one m8. G3/M8 would have to be bought used because new and unlocked models of these are 500 bucks and up, which im not willing to spend on a phone. Alternatively ive found used g2's locally for 200 but then again its just nice to get something new where it doesnt have scratches and who knows how the battery has been treated or how many charge cycles it has been through.

Do you guys feel its a decent price for a G2? I know the G2 is a bit of an older phone but its specs are still pretty decent, and i cannot find a better phone for the money honestly. One of my main concerns here is if the G2 will be updated with lollipop and the G3 UI (which i like the looks of a lot more). It has been rumored it is coming eventually but no one seems to know for sure, there are videoes of G2's with offical lollipop from LG on them, but again (unlesss im mistaken) LG hasnt 100% confirmed G2 is getting lollipop with G3 UI.

If i go the amazon credit card route it would be 270 bucks for a new unlocked G2, do you guys feel this is a solid purchase in january 2015? Or if you have any other phone suggestions im all years, but i need to make up my mind before the end of the month!

Thanks, any replies appreciated.

Advertisement

2. DanDroid

DanDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    QA Analyst
    Ohio
    G2 is still a good device, I just picked one up in very good condition off Craiglist for $200. It will receive the Lollipop update, but LG is keeping a lid on when that will drop. However, if you go the root / unlock bootloader method, there are Lollipop ROM's out there now.

Being a former Cricket user, I'd like to also let you know they cap LTE speeds to 8mbps, so if you can live with that, by all means pick one up. I went with the T-Mobile variant (D801) and went back to T-Mobile.

3. araxxis

None

Feb 17, 2014
    Hey, thanks for reply. Yep im cool with 8mbps, i tested on my current phone and i can stream netflix with 4mbps so thats all i really care about. So you think i should grab this one up? Im just worried some huge price drop is gonna happen and ill kick myself lol. Im still torn on if i wanna go new or used, i may try to talk people down on craigslist from 200 to 150.

One more question if you dont mind, does the audio get decently loud on the G2? I dont care about sound quality just volume, as i use phone in shower to listen to talk radio lol.

4. DanDroid

DanDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    QA Analyst
    Ohio
    I've seen them used starting at $150 (online and on Craigslist) but those were pretty beat up. I'm very picky with my devices so the screen has to be mint, no cracks / scratches. The one I got for $200 was listed for $250, came with box, charger, case, USB cord and wall adapter all original. The posting was over a month old so I was surprised he still had it.

All in @ $270 is not bad, and buying it from Amazon you shouldn't run into any issues with it being backlisted or having a bad IMEI. Just make sure that it is clean, I've been burned before with buying used phones so just confirm its clean. There are sites online where you can check the IMEI number (Swappa.com) is a good place to start.

Audio is really good, ironically I do the same while in the shower, I stream iHeartRadio. To get better sound (since the speaker is on the bottom by USB port), I place mine about an inch away from my wall cabinet so the sound reflects off it it. Corny, I know but it works!

5. araxxis

None

Feb 17, 2014
    Yep the one from amazon is brand new in sealed ATT packaging, so should be good there. Ill keep an eye on craigslist today and see if i can find any near mint ones i can talk down, otherwise ill probably go with the new one on amazon.

Anyone have any guesses on when 5.0 will hit G2 on US carriers? Before 2016 hopefully? lol

6. Hugspecced

Hugspecced Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2015
    Male
    Samsung Tech Support Rep
    Colorado
    It just went live in South Korea, so I would guess it will hit stateside within the next few months.

7. araxxis

None

Feb 17, 2014
    Hey guys i held out and now there is a brand new unopened unlocked (verified by me) G2 on my local craigslist for 230.00. My question is this (hopefully someone knows lol) is the G2 for SURE going to be updated to lollipop and the g3 interface. I am only interested in the g2 if it has the g3 interface FROM lg im not willing to put some random software on my system from someone who made it themselves. If LG has made an official announcement i cannot find it, but if they have i would love if you could link that for me.

8. Hugspecced

Hugspecced Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2015
    Male
    Samsung Tech Support Rep
    Colorado
    The G2 already has lollipop in Korea and is expected to be rolled out in other markets soon.

9. araxxis

None

Feb 17, 2014
    Yep we have all seen that video, but have we gotten official confirmation lollipop/G3 interface is coming to the G2 in the states?

10. Hugspecced

Hugspecced Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2015
    Male
    Samsung Tech Support Rep
    Colorado
    While there is no official confirmation of the G2 getting lollipop on any particular carrier stateside, I'd be very surprised if we didn't. The software is already there from the manufacturer and at this point the ball is mostly in the carriers court. Once a device has the official software it's generally never 100% announced where and what carriers are getting it. It just kind of happens.

I work for a major manufacturer and just found out that lollipop was released for one of our flagships through a particular carrier today, same time as consumers did. Even in the press there was no official announcement or timeframe. It's just the way the software development chain works for major devices and carriers. It goes from google to the manufacturer for their particular device overlay then onto the carriers for their apps and bloatware then gets rolled out when and if the carrier decides to.

If you don't want to root and are waiting for the official release, I'd say it's a safe bet the big 4 US carriers will have lollipop on the G2, it's just a matter of time.

As for the G3 overlay, there's been nothing but the video to support that. It would be a nice surprise, but that's definitely a wait and see.

#10 Hugspecced, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  11. araxxis

None

Feb 17, 2014
    Any new news on this yet? Id love to buy a G2 but only if we know for sure its getting an official G3 interface!

LG G2

The LG G2 has a 5.2-inch display with 1080p resolution. It also has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 13 megapixel camera, NFC, and more.
Tags: