1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unlocked new phone wants SIM PIN?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by clickit, Oct 15, 2014.

1. clickit

clickit Newbie

I bought a new unlocked 601, I have a solavei SIM card in another older HTC. When I put it in the new one, it gives me a note at the bottom saying something like "Network Access Error, contact customer service" or words similar. When I want to go further the only screen I get is a prompt that says: "SIM NETWORK PIN"
    I went to solaveis website, and the only thing I found(similar) said that the default PIN is the last FOUR digits of my phone #. When I tried that, the phone told me that it was an EIGHT digit code, so the only thing with 8 digits was the PUK number. I called to get the number associated with my card, and it did not work. I am totally confused, since I have changed phones in the past and have just changed the SIM and it worked fine. I have not used an unlocked phone before though. If anyone can help, or suggest as to what I'm doing wrong, please and thank you. The solavei people told me that I need to buy another SIM card to go with that phone. Does that make sense?? Click

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Hi

You may need a new SIM if your 601 is a 4G version. (Not sure why the old SIM wouldn't work on 3g - maybe the network is expecting a 4G SIM in your phone)

It may be the pin number for the old SIM that is needed - they can be set to be between 4 and 8 digits - although 4 is normal.

Roger

3. clickit

clickit Newbie

I never had a PIN on the SIM, I mean I never set one up. I ordered a SIM from Solavei, let's see how far that brings me. According to the specifications the network it works with are:

2G NETWORK: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
    3G NETWORK: HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100 - EMEA version
    ____________HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - Asia version
    4G Network: LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2600 - EMEA version
    ____________LTE 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 - Asia version

So does this mean this is only a 2G version? Since it is a North America version, and not a European middle east or Asia?

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Hi

The US versions have 4g (and 3g) as far as I can tell from googling it. If its an ex virgin usa phone it may be a cdma (not gsm) phone which only uses the SIM for 4g.

Roger

5. clickit

clickit Newbie

Update: I got a micro SIM that Solavei sold me assuring me that it will take care of the problem. I waited over a week to get it, they messed up the shipping. Finally I got it, put it in, and still wanted the SIM PIN.
    I took out the "NEW" SIM, inserted mine(cut to size) and I got a hold of the PIN from the provider(Canada Bel), and as soon as I keyed it in, it said restarting phone... Since I used My SIM, and not the "NEW" one, I got my number, and started working.
    Thanks for your help. Click.

HTC Desire 601 Forum

The HTC Desire 601 release date was October 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 2100mAh battery.

October 2013
Release Date
Reviews