1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unlocked or not Unlocked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Billybronco, May 26, 2020.

1. Billybronco

Billybronco Member

Hello, I'm in the process of buying a new Galaxy S9 I've had several already but I'm wondering what's the advantage or disadvantage to buying a locked Verizon phone versus a factory unlocked phone? I do realize the unlocked phone will work with any carrier so it seems like it would make sense to buy that phone. What's the advantage of buying a locked phone that's Verizon and using the Verizon network? Would they have their bloatware on it?

2. Yes the Verizon branded phone will have all their bloatware but it will also be certain to function properly on the Verizon network, plus it will get updates from the carrier as they are rolled out. An unlocked phone may also be missing certain features such as radio frequencies and wifi calling that can't be added later.
    So, it's important to do some research into the specific model you are considering to see if it will work properly on your carrier's network, one place to look is here- https://willmyphonework.net/
    I got my S9 last year and made sure to get a Metro-branded version for the above reasons. Bloatware isn't that bad and most of it can be disabled.

3. Billybronco

Billybronco Member

Okay thanks good to know I have been buying my phones on eBay and I was just concerned when they said unlocked Verizon AT&T or T-Mobile what they meant versus just unlocked. Then they talk about unlocked and factory unlocked. Right now I'm using an unbranded unlocked phone and it seems to work well but I am missing a few Verizon features that I would like like there voicemail app

4. Some are the actual carrier versions that have been unlocked by entering a code (either supplied by the carrier or obtained elsewhere), these are functionally identical to one that is locked but can be used on other networks as long as they are compatible.
    The unbranded/factory unlocked versions are the ones you have to be careful of as they may or may not work properly on your carrier's network, with these it is very helpful to check them out on willmyphonework before considering a purchase.
    Also if you're in the US I'd highly suggest shopping on swappa.com instead of Ebay, it's much safer as the sellers and phones are verified and you're much less likely to have an issue with a phone purchased there.

Madasa likes this.
  5. I got the impression though that the OP was also viewing newly unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile versions. I'm guessing they would not be ideal.
    But I'm in the UK and am rusty on these things.

MrJavi likes this.
  6. Billybronco

Billybronco Member

Let me give you a brief overview of why I'm going through all this. I started out with AT&T with my Galaxy S9 everything was fine the phone worked great and it updated as it should. The phone was an unlocked supposedly branded AT&T phone it had the AT&T bloatware on it or at least some and yes I bought it on eBay. I switch carriers to Verizon that phone no longer would update it still stuck on UI 9. I also have I a unbranded unlocked Galaxy S9 that updates fine and it's on Verizon but it doesn't have any of the Verizon bells and whistles, bloatware. I have tried everything known possible to get that AT&T phone to update it will not. So I'm going to sell it to declutter and buy another phone I guess Verizon unlocked would probably be the best way to go.

7. You can never be sure of what you're getting on Ebay. A carrier-branded phone from Swappa will be exactly what it says.
    I got my last 2 phones on Swappa, S5 and S9 both Metro branded. The S9 is my current phone for the past year and a half and it's been updating regularly.

8. Billybronco

Billybronco Member

I will definitely check out this site for a new phone thanks

9. Billybronco

Billybronco Member

So I would like to get a new phone it seems like swappa is mostly used stuff

10. Yes that's true, so maybe Swappa isn't the place if you really want new. However, if you're willing to accept not quite new you can buy one rated as "Mint" on Swappa and get a nice phone while saving some cash. My "Mint" S9 was indistinguishable from a new one other than not having the original box and packaging and cost me about half of what a new one was going for at the time.
    And in the case of an S9 there probably aren't too many authorized dealers with new ones left in stock at this point which leaves the shady ones you find on Ebay and elsewhere. So IMO you may still be better off with Swappa but of course the ultimate decision is up to you.

11. Billybronco

Billybronco Member

All right I took your word and bought a mint Galaxy S9 64G for under $300 I will
    let you know how it goes

12. Excellent please do let us know how you like it. And they do have a return policy just in case but hoping you don't have to use it.

13. Billybronco

Billybronco Member

OK, I received My mint Galaxy S9 A few days ago. It is super clean looks like brand new. As you know it takea several days to get it all set up the way you like and then some. I have been using the phone for a few days in it seems to work well. Battery life might not be as good as I hoped but maybe I need to do some more app tweaking. Thanks for letting me know about swappa Im happy customer at this point.

14. That's good to hear. Hope your experience continues to be positive.

15. samsung s9 from from verizon carrier can be unlocked to use on any carrier of your choice..if your buying a cellphone locked to a carrier feel free to ask if the service for unlocking your cellphone is available and the cost...

Samsung Galaxy S9 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S9 release date was March 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.8" screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 9810 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2018
Release Date
Reviews