• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked phone - can't switch to Metro

So, I had a Galaxy S5 and sold it to a co-worker of mine. Before I sold it, I paid off the phone and whatever and now it's unlocked (previously on T-Mobile). The email I got from T-Mobile said that I basically put in the SIM card from MetroPCS (that's what my co-worker has), then something pops up and I enter the unlock code and that's it. That's where the problem began, though. Nothing popped up, so I went to the interwebs and tried searching for this problem and I came across a few threads and tried the remedies seen on those threads, but nothing worked - the phone still isn't picking up Metro signals. I tried creating a new APN twice, but that didn't work. I need help on how I can fix this situation because I know that the phone is unlocked, hence the email from T-Mobile and the SIM that he's trying to use is activated because he pulled it out of his phone which was working perfectly.

Thank you for any and all help!

Did you call MetroPCS to register the IMEI of the Galaxy S5 into that MetroPCS account? You can't just install a MetroPCS sim card in, you have to call them first so they can register the phone, then after that, you can install the sim card and the phone will have service then.

Interesting, because I swapped a phone from T-Mobile to cricket a few months ago and didn't have to register anything. I just got the unlock code from TM, put the cricket SIM in and entered the code.

Upvote 0
Did you call MetroPCS to register the IMEI of the Galaxy S5 into that MetroPCS account? You can't just install a MetroPCS sim card in, you have to call them first so they can register the phone, then after that, you can install the sim card and the phone will have service then.

Like Bishop stated.

At MetroPCS you need to register the IMEI to the Sim and vice versa. You can't just sim swap whenever you want.

There is a 15 dollar charge when you do it however and it is considered an ESN change.

Just go to any Metro store or call Metropcs to change the Device on your account to the current one (S5)

Also, T-mobile devices do not need to be unlocked to be used at MetroPcs

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say you are "charged" for it I say its is a service fee that you should pay!! {"goes off on a Rant on how important fees are to "us"}

It's not like stores are out to get you, any metro store will charge for an "upgrade"
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that in a negative way, I was just making a statement. I understand that the stores are required to charge the fee.

Upvote 0
So ive got a quick question not sure if anyone will know but here goes. I have a sprint lg g2 (ls980), i rooted it and installed cloudyg2 3.3 rom on it, i was told this would also unlock the sim. Im assuming it did cause now when i put my metropcs sim in it, the phone sees it, before it wouldnt it would just show a sim with an x on it. So i am assuming that now all i have to do is have matro update my imei and ill have service? Anyone know if this is true?

Upvote 0
So ive got a quick question not sure if anyone will know but here goes. I have a sprint lg g2 (ls980), i rooted it and installed cloudyg2 3.3 rom on it, i was told this would also unlock the sim. Im assuming it did cause now when i put my metropcs sim in it, the phone sees it, before it wouldnt it would just show a sim with an x on it. So i am assuming that now all i have to do is have matro update my imei and ill have service? Anyone know if this is true?

That's correct, assuming it will pick up service, the bands of GSM will be very restricted compared to say a T-mobile branded G2. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, it just wouldn't work as well as a T-mobile branded device would.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones