• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocked phone compatibility with carriers?

I haven't purchased a carrier phone since before 2013 when I purchased a Developer Edition of the Moto X, that I used on Verizon. Since then I've used phones on AT&T (via MVNO) and T-Mobile (via MVNO) with no problem. I don't think you will have any problems.

What carrier are you looking at? Maybe we can pin down compatibility.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Are there any carriers whose systems are not compatible with the "unlocked" S20?
depends. if you just got an unlocked phone, then it is most likely gsm phone (vs cdma)....so you kind of tied to those carriers that use that tech. while a universally unlocked phone can work on either cdma and gsm......from what i understand.

Benefits of unlocked phones

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I was thinking of the "unlocked" galaxy S 20. I'm hoping that it follows the description given by ocnbrze for a universally unlocked phone.
Haven't really chosen a carrier yet, but want keep my options open.
Well, that's the S20 I'm targeting too. I use Mint Mobile, which is an MVNO for T-Mobile. I've used multiple Huawei phones, Le Eco phones, a Moto X4, and now a Pixel 3a with no problem.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
depends. if you just got an unlocked phone, then it is most likely gsm phone (vs cdma)....so you kind of tied to those carriers that use that tech. while a universally unlocked phone can work on either cdma and gsm......from what i understand.

Benefits of unlocked phones

Unlocked phones still work on VZW/Sprint. I had the U11 unlocked (only way to get it) last year.

Upvote 0
I have t-mobile for a carrier. I want to take advantage of the Samsung trade-in offer - because I can get $600 back toward a new S20. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the unlocked or the T-Mobile version. I read some of the T-Mobile forums about the S10. Things said in the forum were that the speed was about the same for both versions. However, the unlocked version didn't have the T-Mobile video calling (which we use with grandkids). However, when you bought the phone from Samsung, it was sometimes a big pain to get it unlocked.

I called Samsung for more info. They said that the unlocked phone had video calling, but not the T-Mobile WIFI calling (which I sometimes use when traveling.)

Do you all know anything about those features?

Upvote 0
I have t-mobile for a carrier. I want to take advantage of the Samsung trade-in offer - because I can get $600 back toward a new S20. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the unlocked or the T-Mobile version. I read some of the T-Mobile forums about the S10. Things said in the forum were that the speed was about the same for both versions. However, the unlocked version didn't have the T-Mobile video calling (which we use with grandkids). However, when you bought the phone from Samsung, it was sometimes a big pain to get it unlocked.

I called Samsung for more info. They said that the unlocked phone had video calling, but not the T-Mobile WIFI calling (which I sometimes use when traveling.)

Interesting question. The no video calling was my problem last year with HTC U11. But it didn't have duo support. Samsung explicitly stated better integration with Google Duo.
I played it safe and bought VZW version, but almost instantly wished I went unlocked. Had to pay upgrade fee and made me pay off my pixel, which I was just going to keep paying on.

Meh, if the grandkids can use Duo for video calling you should be fine.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0

Interesting question. The no video calling was my problem last year with HTC U11. But it didn't have duo support. Samsung explicitly stated better integration with Google Duo.
I played it safe and bought VZW version, but almost instantly wished I went unlocked. Had to pay upgrade fee and made me pay off my pixel, which I was just going to keep paying on.

Meh, if the grandkids can use Duo for video calling you should be fine.
I think in this case @artbytes may be getting video chat that doesn't count against data usage via the T-Mo app. In that case I would try to weigh how much I use that while not on WiFi (or when the grandkids are not on WiFi). Aside from that, yeah, I've been using unlocked phones on multiple carriers.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I think in this case @artbytes may be getting video chat that doesn't count against data usage via the T-Mo app. In that case I would try to weigh how much I use that while not on WiFi (or when the grandkids are not on WiFi). Aside from that, yeah, I've been using unlocked phones on multiple carriers.

Ahh, didn't know it was free via app. Wonder if VZW's used to be. Now it just integrates with Duo via phone app, but there used to be a VZW video call feature.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones