• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked phone does not recognise SIM

mrsroynie

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I have an old HTC Desire HD which, until last month, was under a Bill Pay contract with Vodafone. I upgraded to an HTC One (on the Vodafone contract) and asked for an unlock code so that I could use my Desire HD on another network. After several requests the unlock code was still not forthcoming after several weeks, so Vodafone suggested I send the phone away for a manual unlock. I got it back today. (In the meantime, I received an unlock code from HTC. :rolleyes:)

Unfortunately, when I put the new SIM in, it doesn't seem to be recognised. A message tells me that there is no service and that the phone is capable of emergency calls only. Seems odd because the same SIM works in another phone. We tried my husband's SIM (on the basis that, if the phone has been unlocked, it shouldn't matter what SIM is in it). That didn't work either. We then tried my new Vodafone SIM. That didn't work. Basically, the phone is refusing to recognise any SIM, although all three we tried work in other phones.

In desperation, we tried a hard factory reset, but it made no difference. There's no suggestion that there is anything wrong with the handset. It worked perfectly until I took the old SIM out when I upgraded. In fact, when I took my faulty new phone back to the shop for exchange and was without it for a few days, they put the new SIM in my old phone and it worked perfectly, but not any more ...

I see others have had similar problems with unlocked phones. Does anyone have any sure fire solution?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones