• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked phone, Firmware updates using Wifi?

androiddude

Lurker
Feb 19, 2010
Hi all,

If I were to buy an unlocked HTC phone (e.g. Legend/Desire) on Expansys and use it in Canada, will I be able to update my phone's firmware? (it would be directly from HTC coz the phone isn't offered by the carriers in Canada).

Another question is, what if I decide not to get dataplan coz I can get free Wifi at school/work/home... will I be able to update my phone's firmware using Wifi?

Thanks.

You can manually update by downloading the update off the internet from a PC and loading it onto the SD card. And you do know that allot of apps are going to want to pull data over cellular regardless of what you think. I would really at least get a small data plan for weather updates, email updates and the ability to check twitter, facebook, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones