1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unlocked Phone to Cricket - Tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NeoZiggy, Jul 13, 2017.

1. NeoZiggy

NeoZiggy Android Enthusiast

I'm just wondering if anyone's unlocked their phone (ZTE Zmax Pro) and bought the Cricket SIM kit and tethered using the unlimited plan?

Does our device allow you to tether, without popping up the provisioning dialog box, or do you have to use a third-party app like PdaNet to USB tether?

I know it depends on the device... what's why I'm asking. Some devices don't have tethering crippled or a provisioning option in the build.prop can do it.
    Has anyone tried ?

#1 NeoZiggy, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. loonycgb2

loonycgb2 Android Enthusiast

Have you even checked to see if it supports all the bands that cricket/sprint supports?

Since there is no root you will have to use pdanet if normal tether does not work.

3. NeoZiggy

Thanks? This phone is perfectly capable of Crickets bands. Also FYI, Cricket is a subsidiary of AT&T (LTE bands 2 and 4 supported) and not Sprint with whom Boost and Virgin Mobile are subsidiaries of... Sprint's LTE bands are not supported by this device. :]
    -------
    Since we can create APNs (to stop tethering check/add DUN) I don't think there should be an issue getting around the provisioning since I had created my own APN when tethering before and it seemed to stop the carrier check.

I would still like to know if anyone here took their unlocked Metro ZTE zMAX Pro and used the Cricket SIM kit and unlimited plan and is enjoying the freedom of hotspot beyond 8 gigs? I will spare the $10 and buy one from Walmart and try. I thought someone here had mentioned it before and I was wondering if they could weigh in with results?

#3 NeoZiggy, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. NeoZiggy

Edit: see below post of my outcome

Dear Glob... Don't deal with Cricket. 5 calls later and my 4G dropped to 3G and so don't technically have a phone number however they have an account with me....

#4 NeoZiggy, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. loonycgb2

loonycgb2 Android Enthusiast

Cricket used to be a sprint mvno..

That sucks man hopefully you get your answer.

NeoZiggy likes this.
  6. NeoZiggy

After a lot of frustration, reboots, and calls to tech support I'm on Cricket's network with my ZMax Pro.

4G LTE works without any problems or drops. In a call it switches to 3G so there's no VoLTE. Most importantly the Hotspot works flawlessly.

It's nice to not see "MetroPCS" randomly scrolling on the top left. The "cricket" doesn't move...
    IMG_20170714_173435.jpg

#6 NeoZiggy, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

ZTE Zmax Pro Forum

The ZTE Zmax Pro release date was July 2016. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 617 processor, and 3400mAh battery.

July 2016
Release Date
Reviews