• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlocked Sprint HTC EVO 4g flashed to Cricket

The "info" I am referring to would be the contents (files) that are on the sdcard. I have to unmount the sdcard from my phone, take it out and put it in my card reader on my pc to actually see the contents of the sdcard. If it is in my phone, mounted and functional, I do not know how to navigate within the phone to see the contents that are on the sdcard. Sorry long answer to a simple question. I ramble a lot.

Upvote 0
Ok so I had my first nandroid backup performed right after I unlocked and rooted, then I had the phone flashed to Cricket and service started. So now I need to do a 2nd nandroid backup to save the changes that the phone went under when it was flashed and the service connected.
Okay now here's my initial question...
After I complete the 2nd nandroid backup to save those changes, can you go into the sdcard and delete the first nandroid backup to gain additional storage space on your sdcard?

Upvote 0
Ok so I had my first nandroid backup performed right after I unlocked and rooted, then I had the phone flashed to Cricket and service started. So now I need to do a 2nd nandroid backup to save the changes that the phone went under when it was flashed and the service connected.
Okay now here's my initial question...
After I complete the 2nd nandroid backup to save those changes, can you go into the sdcard and delete the first nandroid backup to gain additional storage space on your sdcard?

yes you can always delete nandroid backups as you like. remember they are just save points. but for me i would at least save some of them to your computer for safe keeping.

Upvote 0
Well then thank you, and for the thanx that your thanking me for, I thank you....So Thanx!!
rock.gif
rock.gif

Upvote 0
Okay guys here I come again. I have been reading like crazy enough to be Phandroid wasted. I have read about a2sd, kernels, roms and partitioning. I have read that different kernels do different things....and I think they are specific to certain Roms? Well I also read (or seen) in one of the posts here that I can only do certain flashing (ie. system,data) because of S-ON. Do I need to be S-OFF, say to overclock and do all the other stuff I've mentioned below? Also is the kernel already in the roms? Or do you flash a rom and flash a kernel? I have read so much I cannot keep all of the info straight. There is so much to remember. I want to partition my sdcard, overclock, flash roms (kernels if needed), get wifi tether and themes. What do I do first? I know I need a better sdcard before I partition, so I can move apps to it and the system can run them well. Flash a rom or Kernel? <<<< this is where I'm confused! OMG!!! I will keep reading.

Upvote 0
Unless you are looking for a custom kernel that does something specifically different than what you have, you do NOT have to flash a kernel. Custom roms come with good kernels matched up to their specific uses.

Your best bet is to do one thing at time...learn what's going on with that, and then, and ONLY then, move to the next thing. You pile all of that stuff on one plate you're gonna' end up with a brick.

Read the guides stickied here.

An awesome place to park is the mikg3.11 rom. I've tried several and keep coming back to it.

p.s. you do not need to touch s-off/on for overclocking. Most custom roms allow for it built in...and if not, you can flash a kernel that is set up for it. remember...one thing at time.

Learn recoveries first. (amon-ra is about as good as it gets, imho).
then roms
then kernels
....and if you want to get snarky, radios and other bits that DO require the s-off/on stuff.

Upvote 0
Okay guys here I come again. I have been reading like crazy enough to be Phandroid wasted. I have read about a2sd, kernels, roms and partitioning.

1. I have read that different kernels do different things....and I think they are specific to certain Roms?

2. Well I also read (or seen) in one of the posts here that I can only do certain flashing (ie. system,data) because of S-ON. Do I need to be S-OFF, say to overclock and do all the other stuff I've mentioned below?

3. Also is the kernel already in the roms? Or do you flash a rom and flash a kernel?

4. I have read so much I cannot keep all of the info straight. There is so much to remember. I want to partition my sdcard, overclock, flash roms (kernels if needed), get wifi tether and themes. What do I do first? I know I need a better sdcard before I partition, so I can move apps to it and the system can run them well. Flash a rom or Kernel? <<<< this is where I'm confused! OMG!!! I will keep reading.

lol i understand how you feel. i felt like that when i first rooted my phone as well. ok so i numbered your questions to make answering a bit easier.

1. kernels basically are the go between the rom(software) and the phone(hardware). they can control a number of things, but mainly they will help with controlling how the cpu runs. and they are only specific to the type of rom you are flashing.

gingerbread roms needs a gingerbread kernel, same goes with ICS and JB. aosp roms will needs an aosp kernel.

2. the only thing with s-on vs s-off is that you can't bootloader flash PC36IMG files unless they are signed by google when you are s-on. everything else is the same........so you can flash away til your hearts content with s-on.......for me s-off is more of a challenge which can make it more fun to achieve.

now this is not the same on all phones. like my phone (evo 4g LTE) is waaaay more of a pain to get s-off, but s-on is also much more of a pain. kernels are flashed sort of differently and is just extra steps that you do not need to do..........so s-on for the og evo is so much better...you guys are lucky!!!!!

3. all kernels come cooked into a custom rom. you can't run the phone without one. however, most of the time the dev will usually add just the stock kernel. or sometimes they will add a kernel that they like into the rom. and like with all kernels, the stock or included kernel may not like your phone and thus you might want to try others to get better battery life and performance.

4. so what i would recommend that you just start with mikg like suggested and then you can start to play around with kernels if you like. then when you get a better card you can then start to play with partitioning and then advanced into theming and such.

hope this helps.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
So after I flash the superwipe is it a second step to the wipe step or is it done automatically? Where does the superwipe step take place? How is it executed?

it should before you flash the rom. so it is wipe dalvik cache, cache, system, and data, then flash the superwipe then flash the rom.

Reactions: smiley72
Upvote 0
I flashed the MikG and it's cool how much different things he's got in there that you can't do with the original roms that come with the phones. Alot of options and customizing. Now I'll be looking into partitioning and overclocking for my next feat! Big THANKS and shout out to OCNBRZE and Mikestony for all your help. It is scary at first but once you lose your "viginity" the doors literally open wide for you. Thanks for helping with my flash-anxiety guys. THANKS THANKS THANKS!!! It's not so bad afterall. To any noobs out there that might come across this post just jump with all your might. You'll love where you land!!!:party:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones