• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unlocked/unbranded last to be updated

Lovely so its true about Samsung they only worry about people locked into a carrier contract.
I had HTC droid phones on a contract and never received an update to OS in 2 years. Now your saying that unlocked / unbranded S3 will never be updated *sigh* I really thought Samsung was a different more customer focused company. I read another post in another forum that stated basically the same that only locked phones will be updated, but I was waiting to see if others could confirm this, seems now it is correct.
At least Apple / Nokia do update their phones, guess its a better option for me than staying with Android.
No wonder Android is such a patch work quilt OS as you never know what updates if any you will ever get.

Upvote 0
Lovely so its true about Samsung they only worry about people locked into a carrier contract.
I had HTC droid phones on a contract and never received an update to OS in 2 years. Now your saying that unlocked / unbranded S3 will never be updated *sigh* I really thought Samsung was a different more customer focused company. I read another post in another forum that stated basically the same that only locked phones will be updated, but I was waiting to see if others could confirm this, seems now it is correct.
At least Apple / Nokia do update their phones, guess its a better option for me than staying with Android.
No wonder Android is such a patch work quilt OS as you never know what updates if any you will ever get.

Little bit melodramatic, of course the S3 will be updated, show me where it says it won't be, lol. It'll just be later than branded phones. Yes it's a bugger but patience is all you need (or flash one of the official foreign JB ROMS like I did until the UK version is released, no rooting involved.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones