• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocked volume different than locked volume

U

Unlocked Volume

So my Droid Turbo has Lollipop which has the useful (debatable) Priority mode for silencing everything except alarms. It works fine when my phone is locked, but when I am using the phone and it is unlocked, the notifications make a noise even when it is supposed to be silent. Is this a design flaw or is there a way to fix it?

Are you putting the phone into "do not disturb" mode or "priority notifications"? Do not disturb will silence everything but alarms, but priority will allow for certain notifications depending on what settings you use.

You can tell a difference in which mode you are in by the status bar icons. DND shows a circle with a dash in the middle and priority notifications shows a star in the status bar.

Upvote 0
It is in priority notification, but I set it to alarms only.

Are you putting the phone into "do not disturb" mode or "priority notifications"? Do not disturb will silence everything but alarms, but priority will allow for certain notifications depending on what settings you use.

You can tell a difference in which mode you are in by the status bar icons. DND shows a circle with a dash in the middle and priority notifications shows a star in the status bar.

Upvote 0
It is in priority notification, but I set it to alarms only.
I see. That's pretty odd. When the device is unlocked, are you hearing all notifications or just certain ones? If only certain ones, it might help narrow down the cause.

One thing you might try, that might not help but won't hurt, is to wipe the cache partition.
Instructions:
1. Ensure the device is powered off, and unplugged

2. Press and hold the Volume Down button and Power button (located on the right edge of the device) for approximately 3 seconds then release.

3. From the "Boot Mode Selection Menu" screen, select Recovery.

Note: Use the Volume buttons to scroll through the menu options and the Power button to select.

4. From the "No Command" screen (Android figure lying on his back), press and hold the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.

5. Select "wipe cache partition".

Note: Use the Volume buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.

6. "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

Note: Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.

A more extreme measure would be to factory reset the device, but you probably want to exhaust all other possibilities before going that far, as it's not a guarantee that it will fix the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones