1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support unlocked vs att samsung galaxy s II

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ASAPP, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ASAPP

ASAPP Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Texas
    Can someone explain to me the difference in a unlocked samsung galaxy s II and one that is made for at&t network? Should I wait for the network branded phone?

Advertisement

2. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Unlocked will work on any network and wont have any carrier bloatware.

3. sircolby45

sircolby45 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    If you are eligible for an upgrade then the AT&T phone will be significantly cheaper.

4. Slusho

Slusho Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    I read in various places that the AT&T version (Within) will be the I9103 aka Galaxy Z aka Galaxy R (I have no idea why you would have five names for the same thing), which has a 5 MP camera, a Tegra 2, and an LCD instead of a Super AMOLED Plus. Is this true? If so, why do AT&T subscribers get so screwed over?

5. sircolby45

sircolby45 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    No this is not the GS2. This is a different model entirely that is a lower end GS2. You are getting 2 separate phones confused.

6. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I've heard the AT&T version of the SGS2 will be called Attain. But not heard that from AT&T yet.

7. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2010
    Grad student (vector-borne disease ecologist)
    Atlanta GA
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just because a phone is unlocked does not mean it necessarily has all of the correct radios for taking full advantage of the AT&T network. E.g. you can unlock a T-Mobile phone and make it work on the AT&T network, but you are restricted to the "Edge" network (slower speeds) because one of T-Mobile's two radios is different from one of AT&T's. Therefore a critical difference between a carrier branded phone and and unlocked phone from another network might be the data speeds you're able to get. But I don't know what radios the GSII has, so this may or may not apply.

8. stevehy

stevehy Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    NJ, USA
    The SGS2 has all radios for GSM carriers EXCEPT T-Mobile USA (which is aws frequencies).

9. cc999

cc999 Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    I can absolutley verify this. I purchased a SG2 from CLove Technologies (English Co) I live in PA, USA. I went to the local ATT got a new Sim card.
    We fired it up and it was perfect. I even got H+ with lightning speeds. I can verify if you get it from Clove your data will be perfect on ATT. And yes the Bloatware in not on the phone and ATT cand control if they want to allow you to connect to the HSPA network or not, I am completly happy with my purchase, even the guy at ATT was thoroughly impressed with the phone and the speed. Any other questions just ask.

Charlie C

10. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Charlie, my experience with the phone is about the same, though I got mine in Norway from NetCom. Biggest difference is that I'm not showing mine to AT&T, I don't want them jacking my rates for the same service I have because of the device. Just pulled my 3G sim from my old phone and stuck it in the SGS2. So far for this month I'm just under 3GB of usage and have about another week before the end of my billing cycle. An LTE version would be nice, but I would seldom get to use that as it will be years before that reaches my home market so I would be limited to using that while I happen to be at a airport on travel, so I can justify waiting for the AT&T branded version for that (if it is included, again not seen anything from AT&T saying it will be) if they are going to restrict the phone's features and increase my rates.