• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlocked with security block

shaunskie

Lurker
Jan 4, 2016
Hi all,

I hope someone is able to help me here. It seems like a lot of awesome was done to make this low-end phone hold its own. I hope I can see for myself.

I have the AS323 variant. This model has barely been talked about but was hoping I could use what's available to get at least a partially working rom. Also, I noticed the model number on the sticker behind battery is AS323 but printed on a part near top of the phone MS323 is printed. Could this be the same as the MS323 only shipped carrier unlocked?

So anyways... I have rooted, wiped laf, unlocked bootloader via fastboot and oem info reports unlocked-true. I have tried flashing versions of twrp and cm recovery, when trying to boot either I am stopped with the "Boot Certification Verify" error. I was able to get a version of CWM to boot and it appears to work just fine.

I realize CWM is not supported for CM13.0 but, because it was all I had, I tried it anyway. I was able to successfully flash (I had to remove a few lines from the updater-script to make it go on a nonsupported model.) After flash of rom I received same error about boot certification. I also tried a couple other roms with same result.

So my questions:

Why the "Boot Certification Verify" error? I thought an unlocked bootloader allowed unsigned code to be ran.

Is there a way to bypass this security feature by forfeiting encryption or similar?

Can I extract some info from my device and add it rom so it could boot?

All googling about this LG boot security only refers to issues of not having unlocked bootloader.

I realize even if I were able to get something booted there would most likely be other compatibility issues but I will take what I can get. I can elaborate in greater detail specifics of my experience if it helps. (This post is long enough already)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all the devs and community that put in so much work. Please forgive my noob ignorance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones