1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Unlocking a phone with active voice account

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by droid416, Jan 27, 2014.

1. droid416

droid416 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    Is it possible to unlock a phone without an active voice account?

I know that you have to dial a code and then hit send and the phone has to be able to send the code out, so my guess is that an active voice account is needed, is that true?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I'm gong to assume you mean carrier unlock ... ie. moving a subsidized phone from one carrier network to another. Honestly, I'm not sure. Normally what I'd do is to put a sim from a different carrier in my phone and when the prompt pops up, enter the unlock code. Once unlocked, it's unlocked for good.

My question is why would you want to unlock a phone with no account? The lock only affects voice and mobile data so if you don't have an account, why bother? Now, if you want to sell a locked phone, that's another kettle of eels.

If the phone is locked and the carrier contract is fulfilled, the carrier should give you the unlock code, which you could provide to the buyer. If the contract is not fulfilled and in default, carriers will blacklist the IMEI of the device making it unusable on mobile networks, locked or unlocked.

BTW, unlocking a phone in the U.S. without the carrier's permission, if the phone was sold after January 2013, is illegal, so don't do that.

droid416, dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. droid416

droid416 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi Lunatic,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I mean carrier unlock.

I want to unlock the phone because I want to move to another carrier and want to have a data only plan. I've already ported my phone number to a voip company, and when it was ported my current carrier suspended my account pending termination, therefore I no longer have access voice, SMS or mobile data. So I believe what you're telling me is that my current carrier should provide me with the unlock code?

I'm in Canada and I haven't heard of it being illegal to unlock phones here.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    The unlocking being illegal is a U.S. thing, so it doesn't concern you (unless it's a U.S. phone, in which case I have no idea how that would work.)

As long as your account was in good standing with your previous provider and the contract, if there was one, is satisfied, they should provide you with the unlock code. You'll still need a sim for data, so when you put in the sim, it should ask you to enter the code. You might want to have your previous carrier on the line when you do, in case something goes awry.