• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocking boot loader on US996 (LG)

Boowho

Mar 20, 2019
Is this do-able with out unlock.bin??

I've tried using adb/fastboot. ADB reports the device OK; fastboot can't see the device.

I've tried all manner of drivers to load........ I know there are separate drivers for adb and fastboot.

This is driving me nuts.

Finally, are there different SUB-variants of the 996?? One generic and one US Sprint??

Thanks

P.S. Yeah I know this is a VERY old phone. But it still does everything I need/want. I just bought a replacement for one that "went South" the other day. Sadly LG no longer supports providing an unlock.bin.

And I suspect there are probably not many LG fans on here.

Also your issue will be do the links still work. First, anything root related you should go to xda to do your research. 2nd the devs there will post their goods. They usually will provide their files via a file sharing site. Those sites sometimes will charge the dev, so usually the links there will lose support and thus the links will not work.

So even though old phones work, or will be harder to find the necessary root files, the older the phone gets.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thanks to both.

Danny, the link you posted did not have the specific info to unlock WITHOUT the file mentioned.

Ocean, XDA members hardly ever answer any thing I post.

Right now just getting ADB and FB drivers to work would be wonderful. I have all the ROM images, etc I need,from when I did this last time.

Again my thanks to both of you for your attempts to help.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thanks to both.

Danny, the link you posted did not have the specific info to unlock WITHOUT the file mentioned.

Ocean, XDA members hardly ever answer any thing I post.

Right now just getting ADB and FB drivers to work would be wonderful. I have all the ROM images, etc I need,from when I did this last time.

Again my thanks to both of you for your attempts to help.
first off never post there. i said to do your research there. you can come here for questions that you may have.

so fastboot does not see your device? only adb? how do you know adb does but fastboot does not? did you boot into fastboot mode on your phone?

Upvote 0
from screen with normally booted home screen

in command (dos) window adb devices
adb comes back with the device ID connected.

reboot phone into FB mode.

Fastboot devices
no message returned just the C:\adb prompt

Fast boot mode on my phone does not show the same screen (with 5-6 menu items to pick from) as it formerly did. Looks more like this with no way to select options.

* quick guidance

1) read device ID
fastboot oem device-id
2) write unlock key
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
3) check bootloader is unlocked
fastboot getvar unlocked

Anything else I can answer??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones