1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unlocking bootloader help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 3TScott, Aug 11, 2017.

1. 3TScott

3TScott Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2017
    Hello,

I have a galaxsy s5 906k and I've been reading on how to unlock the bootloader as I'm trying to install Remix OS and it seems I've come across a lot of misinformation.... and if possible can someone tell me what exactly I need to unlock the bootloader, as I can't find a list of the appropriate tools? Do I need twrp for my specific device?? Some have said yes and some no.

My phone is already rooted.

Also post unlock bootloader question, can I use the 900k rom from remix to install on my 906k?

I can only boot into download mode, not fastboot mode. adb devices returns the device, but fastboot devices returns nothing. Tried adb reboot-bootloader`and it just shows waiting for any device.

These all boot into download/odin mode!!!!!!

adb reboot download

adb reboot bootloader / adb reboot-bootloader

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flashing unlock

Only one that boots into recovery mode! Then I go to Reboot to bootloader and it comes back to recovery mode!!!!!!!!!!
    adb reboot recovery

Advertisement

#1 3TScott, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Jack Stewart likes this.
  2. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    I was not aware that the Korean carrier minority variant of the Galaxy S5 Prime, G906K, intended for use on the KT Corporation network, had a locked bootloader. In any case, the custom ROM for Remix for the G900K will not be compatible with your phone. See, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

mydian, lunatic59 and Mikestony like this.
  3. 3TScott

3TScott Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2017
    Oh Jesus really!??!?! I've been trying for hours to get into fastboot mode and every time would bring me into download mode... I tried everything to see if the bootloader was locked/unlocked, couldn't find any confirmation of it.

I know the Samsung variants aren't the same, but the 900k is the closest to mine. Only difference is the amount of ram.

4. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    I am afraid that, "close", is not good enough. IIRC, the 906K has 3GB of RAM as opposed to 2GB on the 900K and has a Snapdragon 805 chipset unlike the 900K's Snapdragon 801. Not to mention the difference in display sizes and modem/radio... and the list goes on.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure" ;)

(N.B. The 906K minority variant for the KT network, S.Korea, is not fully compatible with most networks worldwide. See, Will My Phone Work?)

#4 ironass, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    mydian, Mikestony and Jfalls63 like this.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.