• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocking from 3

firefox73

Jun 24, 2010
Hi

My other half has ordered a S2 on the 3 network. She's not too fussed about the S2 and has kindly offered to swap it with my stock sim free SGS:D. BUT....

I'm with O2. I had rooted my Galaxy S prior to when Gingerbread arrived but it's now on stock firmware. My questions are:

1. If I root the S2 does this automatically unlock the phone from 3?

2. Do the unlocking shops remove the bloatware on the phone?

3. Is it worth paying an unlocking internet company?

4. Are the risks high of bricking the phone using an unblocking shop or rooting at home?

5. If I unlocked the phone and kept the 3 bloatware, would I be able to use Skype over the O2 3G?

6. Anyone any bad experiences of any unlocking companies that should be avoided?

Many thanks and look forward to chatting with you guys in the future on the S2 forums.

[HOWTO] GT-I9100 Free SIM Unlock via nv_data.bin by Odia - xda-developers

that's an unlocking guide over at XDA. you would need to root your phone first and continue following that guide. so no, rooting your phone does not automatically unlock it.

i don't think you'll brick the phone, esp not if you follow the instructions. i have no idea regarding using Skype over O2 3G.

if i were you, i'd totally do all of this myself though haha. all it takes to root is flash an insecure kernel via Odin and the directions for unlocking do not seem hard either. good luck! :)

Reactions: firefox73
Upvote 0
Hi

My other half has ordered a S2 on the 3 network. She's not too fussed about the S2 and has kindly offered to swap it with my stock sim free SGS:D. BUT....

I'm with O2. I had rooted my Galaxy S prior to when Gingerbread arrived but it's now on stock firmware. My questions are:

1. If I root the S2 does this automatically unlock the phone from 3?

2. Do the unlocking shops remove the bloatware on the phone?

3. Is it worth paying an unlocking internet company?

4. Are the risks high of bricking the phone using an unblocking shop or rooting at home?

5. If I unlocked the phone and kept the 3 bloatware, would I be able to use Skype over the O2 3G?

6. Anyone any bad experiences of any unlocking companies that should be avoided?

Many thanks and look forward to chatting with you guys in the future on the S2 forums.

1. I haven't done this myself, so I am not sure.
2. No, unlocking can be done without reflashing, it's just a matter of finding and entering a code. They won't touch the ROM.
3. Sometimes it can be done for free - I'd search for a code online first. The benefit of doing it face to face is that you don't have to pay if it doesn't work.
4. These are two completely separate questions. Unlocking is usually a simple matter of typing a code into the phone. There is absolutely no risk whatsoever. Either the code is accepted and it works or it isn't and nothing happens. Flashing a new ROM is a completely different issue and does carry a risk but it's a small one. With any flashing, things can go wrong if it fails half way through but this is the same with an official update as well. It is possible to brick a phone this way but thousands of people have done it with no problem. As long as you are careful, you should be fine. Do read the instructions thoroughly though.
5. Yes you should be able to.
6. The worst that can happen is that the code won't work. That said, I've always done it face to face.

If you aren't fazed by techie procedures, you would probably find that flashing a stock generic ROM will sidestep any potential difficulties.

Reactions: firefox73
Upvote 0
[HOWTO] GT-I9100 Free SIM Unlock via nv_data.bin by Odia - xda-developers

that's an unlocking guide over at XDA. you would need to root your phone first and continue following that guide. so no, rooting your phone does not automatically unlock it.

i don't think you'll brick the phone, esp not if you follow the instructions. i have no idea regarding using Skype over O2 3G.

if i were you, i'd totally do all of this myself though haha. all it takes to root is flash an insecure kernel via Odin and the directions for unlocking do not seem hard either. good luck! :)

Thanks for the link. Without having the phone in my hand and having read through all the pages on the thread, it doesn't seem quite as straightforward as I'd have hoped.

However, I have found a free app called "[root] Galaxy S2 SIM Unlock" by Chainfire, which apparently does everything for you, provided your phone is rooted. Obviously not used it yet as phone not due in stock until late next week:( but may be of use to others, who have the phone and are looking for a simple method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones