• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking HTC Desire?

Is there any downside to unlocking an HTC Desire to go with a different provider?

In my province Telus offers the Desire, but I might want to go with an alternative carrier. So in theory I buy a phone, pay the $15-$20 and have it unlocked. Then take it to the alternative provider and they sign me up.

A. Is this how it would work or are there gotchas to consider?

B. Would any features "not" work on the new provider with an HTC Desire? GPS, Tethering, etc.?

Thx!

Yes, this is how it would work. I'm using mine on Fido and so far everything has worked fine including gps and tethering. You do have to update the apn settings to get 3g working, but you can just google those for whichever provider you settle on.

The only downside I can think of is that your updates will still come from Telus while on the new provider. There are no Telus markings on the desire at all either.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is how it would work. I'm using mine on Fido and so far everything has worked fine including gps and tethering. You do have to update the apn settings to get 3g working, but you can just google those for whichever provider you settle on.

The only downside I can think of is that your updates will still come from Telus while on the new provider. There are no Telus markings on the desire at all either.

Yeah the Desire is looking schweet! If I decide to go with it... I may just do Telus anyways since it uses the network of Sasktel (my other option). I'm still humming and hawing a bit over the Samsung Galaxy S so just not sure. One other perk is that I could unlock and go with Sasktel and be on a family package with wifeys new phone which will probably be a Samsung Galaxy S.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones