• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unlocking htc hero orange by downgrade rom and install modaco

DevKar22

Nov 11, 2009
hi guys,

i want to unlock htc hero from orange.
I have the unlock code which does not work due to bug in rom.

As of now i dont have a orange sim and my hero is reset to factory settings .
so i always see a screen asking me to insert sim card.

My question is can i still go ahead and downgrade my rom and install modaco 2.9 to unlock my mobile?

I already have a unlock code.
Once i gave the code I got a message "Network unlock successfull" and a "unlocking" screen comes which seems to be there forever.

Does that mean that the code is correct and its the bug in orange rom?

Now can i go ahead with modaco installation with below situation
1. hero is set to factory setting
2. I dont have a orange sim (Iam located out of europe)

Upvote 0
Yes, you can do it. for this in before proceed your mobile in to unlock, for unlock using unlock code is the very best method ,for getting unlock code use this link The Unlock Spot.com - Unlock you phone at the unlock spot! ,here provide your phone details then put your mobile ,service provider details and then get your your unlock code successfully ,for all other information provide in the site. I am also successfully unlock my HTC mobile.

Reactions: jothsha
Upvote 0
Hi,

MoDaCo Rom's are compatible with unlock codes - i'm using one and it's fine

I have just purchased a HTC Hero on Orange. First I installed a custom recovery image which will allow you to then install a custom Rom.
To install a custom recovery image you will need to install the HTC Hero drivers onto your windows PC. Download and install 'Flashrec' to your device via the android user interface on your Pc. Once installed open it up. When Flashrec opens up enter in the box (only one box) '/sdcard/then the name of your recovery file' and select flash.

Take your sdcard out of your Hero and put the custom rom on it then put t back in your device, renaming it to 'update.zip' Now power off your phone, Power back up holding the 'home' button, this will take you to your custom recovery suit.

ALWAYS do a nandroid back-up, this is vital incase you mess something up.
Now select install update from sdcard (or similar, option 2 i think) this will now extract and install the custom rom to your device (follow on-screen prompts)

Once installed you may have to re-boot, when the device re-boot's it will hang on the 'HTC' logo screen for a while, this is normal.

Now put a non Orange sim card, i.e O2 etc in the phone, the phone will ask you for the unlock network code, you will need to get one of these from various web sites, enter this and bam your unlocked.

PM me if you need any further details

Good luck and spread the Android Love!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones