• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking phones by rooting

Hi all,

I was wondering, is it possible to unlock a phone by rooting and flashing a custom ROM on it?
By "unlocking", I am referring to phones that are only possible to be used by one carrier for instance AT&T.

any info appreciated.
Also,some carrier branded phones are more developer friendly than others.
So,if you're specifically referring to custom ROMs,ensure that it is intended for that specific model & carrier,regardless if it has been SIM Unlocked or not,as @psionandy mentioned,the two unlocks are different beasts altogether,one has nothing to do with the other.

If you need to SIM Unlock a phone,contact the carrier it was originally tied to,all carriers have slightly different requirements,but,most basically require that any contractual obligations be met before doing so,with a few notable exceptions (Military personnel stationed overseas/out of country/etc).....

There are SIM Unlocking services available for a fee,GOOGLE is your friend.
However,even if you go this route,if there are contractual obligations that are still pending/unfulfilled,the device is likely blacklisted,meaning almost no one will activate it on their network.

Upvote 0
Great thanks. that was kind of what I figured.
I am only temporarily in the USA (for about 1 month) I have checked with AT&T and they tell me the account needs to be active and in credit for 6months to be unlocked by them. which is not going to happen.
I will have a look around google for some sites that offer unlocking.

thanks again!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones