• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlocking the evo

Hi I am a newbie at this so if I sound a bit out of sorts this is why. I currently have a Sprint HTC EVO 4G. I am traveling internationally and contacted HTC and requested the unlock codes, they referred me back to Sprint contacted there tech department and got the run around. I am waiting on a response from Sprint (I contacted them by email, this time I quoted the current law, hoping they will comply) in case they don't can someone please explain to me what rooting does, and if doing this will it permanently unlock my device rendering it usable on any network..

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance

Hi I am a newbie at this so if I sound a bit out of sorts this is why. I currently have a Sprint HTC EVO 4G. I am traveling internationally and contacted HTC and requested the unlock codes, they referred me back to Sprint contacted there tech department and got the run around. I am waiting on a response from Sprint (I contacted them by email, this time I quoted the current law, hoping they will comply) in case they don't can someone please explain to me what rooting does, and if doing this will it permanently unlock my device rendering it usable on any network..

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well rooting your phone will not be permanent as there are ways to uroot the phone.

and as far as unlocking it to another network is not as easy as it sounds. you will have to learn how to use cdma workshop (its not free, but there might be some "cracked" versions (not all work well). you may need a donor phone and then you will have to mess with esn's. there might be some services on the net that you can pay them to flash your phone to a certain network.

unfortunately, it is not like gsm phones where you can replace the sim card. plus not many countries use cdma technology.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones