• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unnecessary incompatible apps

GoogleNexus

Apr 11, 2016
Recently I found out my favorite game wasn't compatible with my 5X, while it was with an older outdated phone. I contacted their support email. This was their response:

Hi there,
Thanks for bringing our attention to this. It looks like it has been automatically ruled out rather than manually marked as incompatible by us. We're trying to figure out why that would be as we do in fact support android 6 and in fact the Nexus 6P is marked as compatible. It's a mystery at the moment but we are looking into it.
I'll make a note to send you another response once we know the cause.
Thanks
Matt

----- second email: -----

Ok so it looks like the reason is that the particular resolution of this device has somehow been left out of the manifest. We can fix it but as we are about to launch our new game 'MMX Hill Climb' this will have to take a backseat for a week or two until we can free up the people to make the change and provide the testing.
I apologise for the delay, we'll get to it as soon as we can.
Thanks
Matt

So it seems they didn't mark the 5x as incompatible, it was done automatically.

This scares me, as a lot of apps might have this problem, while they actually are very compatible. Have you guys got familiar issues with incompatible apps?

Ok so it looks like the reason is that the particular resolution of this device has somehow been left out of the manifest.

That sounds more like the developers goofed when creating the manifest rather than Google "automatically ruling it out". The Play Store only enforces the App Manifest created by the developers, where they specify which devices, hardware specs, resolutions, etc, their app will work on.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I also recently learned about the Redbox app not working on the 5x. I found this when I did a google search - does anyone know if it's safe to do?

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/get-redbox-working-incompatible-android-devices-0159366/

It's perfectly safe,I do this with Bejeweled2,gotta get it from Amazon,it's been years since the Google Play Store version was compatible w/any of my phones,or tablets:
The Google Play version won't even show up on an app search,unless you use desktop,or,the app My Paid Apps,that shows when you purchased apps from Google.

EDIT:IDK about method #1,I only trust Amazon & Apk Mirror (.com) & on occasion F-Droid,outside of the Google Play Store.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones