1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unpredictable Native POP3 email app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dukestertx, May 2, 2011.

1. dukestertx

dukestertx Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2011
    Where to start? I'm having all sorts of issues with the native app on my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S (Epic), some of which may be actual issues, and some merely its not doing what I expect it to do.

(1) It's anybody's guess what emails will arrive and when, or how long they'll stay on my phone ... or come back. I will get any number of email alerts and find several loaded from my ISP server (verizon.net). I will read some and delete those I don't want, usually waiting a short time so that I don't delete them from the server before my Outlook on either one of two computers at different locations doesn't miss them.
    (a) Deleted emails return. Today I am getting "new" emails from several days ago, some - if not most or all - of which I had previously deleted.
    (b) Kept emails disappear. Messages that I wanted to refer to and kept on my phone are no longer visible. There does not seem to be any setting to control this, and no apparent pattern to this behavior. Some have returned as in (a) above; others seem to be lost forever (at least on my phone: they are on one or the other computer).
    I have not had problems in the past on other systems (Blackberry and Treo), nor with the separate computers using the same email accounts. I've set, through Outlook, to leave messages on the server for 10 days unless deleted from the trash/deleted items folder on the computer(s). I will need convincing that the problems above have to do with my mail server, but a good argument might do the trick.

(2) These problems occur with two of three POP3 email accounts on this phone; the third I am not able to get mail from. Working with admin to try to solve the problem, will advise if this persists.

(3) I'm not finding an option to create a new folder in the email client, e.g., a place to put emails that I want to save, apart from those that are (not saving) in the inbox. Suggestions?

(4) I don't see an option that allows me to highlight and/or cut and paste all or portions of text from incoming emails.

I realize this is probably a limited-capability app since it's both free and bundled. I would prefer to have the capability to sync with my Outlook (2010 and 2003) on my computers, which I've done over the years with both Blackberry and Treo successfully.

Any suggestions for a good email client that will behave properly with my POP3 accounts and preferably sync with Outlook (but not absolutely necessary) are also appreciated.

Likewise, any hints about bringing over my previously sync'ed Outlook Memos to my Android memos would be appreciated as well. I thought I'd simply send them by email and then cut-and-paste to new memo, but see item (4) above!

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Also posted in Android Apps forum)

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Welcome to the forums!

I've moved your post to where you'll get the best help, deleted the duplicate.