• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unread email count

Proctorc,

I'm looking for the exact same thing. It appears that if you root your phone, you can get widgets that will display your unread Exchange emails, but I haven't found any that can do it without root access.

I prefer not to root my phone, if possible. I will keep looking, and if I find anything, I will post it here. If you find anything, let me know here, too?

Upvote 0
I appreciate your input. Bad news, though: Unfortunately, it does all of that.... minus displaying a widget that indicates how many Exchange emails you have. :) I love Launcher Pro, however.

It can display widgets for K9 mail, which can access Exchange, but only with WebDAV which is pull only, no push mail - K9 isn't licensed to use Exchange ActiveSync (It costs money) s that kind of hamstrings the whole idea.

Upvote 0
The other way around, actually. POP is intermittent by nature, so to make it faster, I configured my Exchange account to forward to my GMail account automatically, since GMail uses push delivery. The trade off is that if I reply to emails, they go out using my GMail account.

Realistically, it's not that terrible - I still have the notification area at the top telling me I have mail. It'd just be nicer if I had a widget on the screen that showed the count of unread mail for Exchange. There's a variety of apps that do that for GMail, but none for Exchange. (unless you use a third party Exchange activesync-capable app, which I don't want to do)

Upvote 0
I reached a frustration level where all I wanted was a stupid widget that would display my Exchange email unread count. I ended up stopping the use of the built-in Exchange synchronization and I am now using Moxier Mail. It seamlessly integrates and does everything that the built in client does, including contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, etc, except it it seems (to me) to have a little bit of a cleaner interface. The obvious advantage is: When you put the Moxier Mail widget on your phone's desktop, it shows unread mails! Heck of an expensive widget just to get an unread count, but it is worth it for me. Now, I just need a Google Voice notification tool and I'll be golden.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones