• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unread notifications

PabloEscobar

May 23, 2010
Now, I know there are several widgets out there for displaying either unread sms or unread email, but the problem with all of the ones I have tried is you cant put them on the home bar along the bottom of your main screen (where there is the phone button and contacts button and messaging button e.t.c.).

I currently have replaced my messaging app with ChompSMS and moved it to the homebar, but this does not display how many sms I have unread. So i downloaded SMS Unread Count, which does the job but its only a widget, and I cant put it in place of ChompSMS on the hombar.

The same goes for Gmail, I would to do the same so downloaded GMail Unread Count, but I cant replace the GMail icon with this icon as it is only a widget.

Please can someone offer some advice how I can get the number of unread SMS or GMail emails to show instead of the default icons?

I have tried it now, and it doesnt really do what I want. It only shows the unread count on the icon on the status bar, I meant I want it to be over the icon on the desktop, similar to this:

sms2.jpg

Upvote 0
Thats great! just what i wanted, thanks a lot!

One tiny little problem with the GMail notification though.... If I have 2 unread emails - one on one account, and one on another GMail account, it only says I have one unread email. Is there a way to get LauncherPro to display ALL unread emails, for ALL GMail accounts?

Upvote 0
Thats great! just what i wanted, thanks a lot!

One tiny little problem with the GMail notification though.... If I have 2 unread emails - one on one account, and one on another GMail account, it only says I have one unread email. Is there a way to get LauncherPro to display ALL unread emails, for ALL GMail accounts?

I doubt you can do it for multiple accounts.

You can set up a widget for GMail that will show unread count and choose the secondary account emails. There are a few widgets like that in the Market.

Upvote 0
I currently have replaced my messaging app with ChompSMS and moved it to the homebar, but this does not display how many sms I have unread. So i downloaded SMS Unread Count, which does the job but its only a widget, and I cant put it in place of ChompSMS on the hombar.

The same goes for Gmail, I would to do the same so downloaded GMail Unread Count, but I cant replace the GMail icon with this icon as it is only a widget.
Not sure why you're having difficulty with this. Chomp has a widget that does exactly what you want. It shows the number of unread messages and launches Chomp when you tap it. Same for Gmail unread count--it shows and unread message count and launches Gmail when tapped. I use both. Maybe I misunderstood the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones