1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unrecognized symbol in notification area

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by AndyRoed, Oct 9, 2014.

1. AndyRoed

AndyRoed Newbie

I have a few android WiFi only tablets with a hollow white right-triangle in between the WiFi and battery icons. Looking around online, some folks think it's a data roaming. Not only is this tablet WiFi only, but Data roaming in Settings/Mobile networks is unchecked.

Here's a screenshot. It's in between the WiFi and battery icons.

Any ideas what this is?

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

Is your tablet rooted and what kind of tablet do you have

3. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

EDIT: I misread the post.

So this white triangle, it looks like an empty data signal indicator? That seems odd.

Where did you source these tablets?

mikedt and BRAINZ2013 like this.
  4. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

Yes the triangle is the data and the other is your WiFi. Now the data looks empty cause your sims card maybe missing or you didn't edit your build.prop so the signal would show. This isn't roaming cause a R would be visible somewhere that R is for roaming.

mikedt likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That triangle is the cellular signal indicator, it usually appears hollow if there's no SIM or the cellular radio is turned off. These tablets don't have cellular radios or take SIMs? Are they Chinese?

Some tablets do support USB cellular data modems via USB OTG, and then signal indicator appears as it would on a phone.

BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

You could have a tablet that has cell data/wifi, and another model is wifi only. Can't see someone deleting that symbol on a wifi only tablet when they make both.

Acer did separate. I have an Acer A-500. That is wifi only. The A-501 used network. The W-500 was Windows.

7. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

is this thing rooted and running a ROM? when I tried the L Dev Preview on my Nexus 7 it had an empty signal meter as well. even had the whole Mobile Network Settings too. it's a if the preview image was not made for non-data tablets or something.

8. dfarrant81

dfarrant81 Newbie

Your tablet may support devices such as 3g dongles, if it does, this will be the signal indicator for the dongle.

9. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

by the looks of the notification area this appears to be Android 4.0--ice cream sandwich. more likely some budget/Chinese tablet that has a ROM that included phone settings and mobile network status, so if it's wifi only you're going to see that signal meter empty unless you enable airplane mode and turn wifi back on.