• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unrEVOked 3.2: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading

When the unrEVOed 3.2 comes back on line and i run it, will everything on my phone look and work the way it is now? What i mean is, does wi-fi work, camera work, ect.? Is there any known issue of something not working? Do i have do install a custom rom or can i leave the phone the way it is and it will be rooted? I would want to root to be able to wireless tether and run some of the root only apps, and have the phone run smoother and faster.

Upvote 0
When the unrEVOed 3.2 comes back on line and i run it, will everything on my phone look and work the way it is now? What i mean is, does wi-fi work, camera work, ect.? Is there any known issue of something not working? Do i have do install a custom rom or can i leave the phone the way it is and it will be rooted? I would want to root to be able to wireless tether and run some of the root only apps, and have the phone run smoother and faster.

You will want to flash a rooted stock rom. I have linked to one in my sig. That way everything will work just like it does now, except you can also run apps made for rooted phones. To ensure wifi tether works, you will also want to flash a custom kernel. This will give you several other benefits immediately, like the FPS boost and awesome finger tracking. I recommend getting a custom kernel for all root users who use a stock ROM.

Reactions: WaynesNside
Upvote 0
You will want to flash a rooted stock rom. I have linked to one in my sig. That way everything will work just like it does now, except you can also run apps made for rooted phones. To ensure wifi tether works, you will also want to flash a custom kernel. This will give you several other benefits immediately, like the FPS boost and awesome finger tracking. I recommend getting a custom kernel for all root users who use a stock ROM.

Good info to know. I plan on using a custom ROM but for now i just want to have root with my phone.

I'm going to take your advice and use the info in your sig. So I will be safe using those posted if your sig right?

Upvote 0
In your sig it looks like you have 2 kernels is that right? can you flash one kernel on top of another one? What i have is stock EVO, non rooted, lastest OTA update. I was reading through the forum at xda about flashing the stock rom. They were saying something about wiping the phone, flashing the rom, then flashing the kernel, then flashing the radios? As you can tell i am a total noob at this, and i am very sorry. Is there a step by step procedure on what to do and in what order to do this in?

Upvote 0
Good info to know. I plan on using a custom ROM but for now i just want to have root with my phone.

I'm going to take your advice and use the info in your sig. So I will be safe using those posted if your sig right?

That is exactly what I did. I used precisely what is in his signature and the phone is fantastic. Having said that, I did use unrevoked's new tool (3.2) and it worked great. I did end up wiping my phone which I was trying to avoid but it might have been for the best. Really no big deal to get it back to where it was as far as apps go and even cut out a few things I really was not using. I can be a bit of a hoarder when it comes to apps.

Upvote 0
My favorite part is the scrolling. Do you notice that the scrolling is a lottt smoother and flows better? Thats because the frames per second is locked at 30 by HTC. This kernel ups it to...50something....making the whole journey on your phone nice and smooth.

Overclocking support, so you can download the app and run your phone faster, or slow it down if you wish to save battery.

And the support for wireless tethering is in there so it keeps wireless tethering running smoothly.

Those are my favorite aspects of netarchy. Did you get Revision 4.1.8-cfs edition?

And by the way, unrevoked 3.2 was a great choice. I used it as well and damn was it simple and quick.

I noticed you say you are cruzin' on verizon. what's going on there?

Upvote 0
In your sig it looks like you have 2 kernels is that right? can you flash one kernel on top of another one? What i have is stock EVO, non rooted, lastest OTA update. I was reading through the forum at xda about flashing the stock rom. They were saying something about wiping the phone, flashing the rom, then flashing the kernel, then flashing the radios? As you can tell i am a total noob at this, and i am very sorry. Is there a step by step procedure on what to do and in what order to do this in?

You won't be able to flash anything until after you root. So... do that first. I do have 2 kernels listed in the sig. You only need one or the other. I posted both because both work well with several ROMs including stock. netarchy 4.1.8 CFS is a safe bet. Kingx kernels are more aggressive, and I think they have the edge if you're going for overclocking the CPU and going for higher benchmark scores.

Upvote 0
I noticed you say you are cruzin' on verizon. what's going on there?

Theres a hack in the xda forums here, and it forces your Evo to roam.
(I dont know if you remember some older sprint phones allowed you to choose force roaming)

So when im at home, i have 0-1 bars of service. This puts me on verizon and gives me 2-3 bars of solid service.

You gotta be careful though.. Its a good way to screw up your phone (done it) and its a good way to get sprint to terminate your contract on you.

If you do it, i suggest you read every page of that thread and then decide

Upvote 0

First off, thanks for taking the time to help so many people including myself! I have noticed that you ALWAYS take the time to inform and explain stuff to anyone who asks. Very commendable attitude on your part.

Secondly, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't recovery to a stock mod apart of the unrevoked 3.2 process? Meaning after unrevoked 3.2 and your phone reboots you should be running a stock froyo evo on the latest ota build. No?

Reactions: ceabbott2
Upvote 0
First off, thanks for taking the time to help so many people including myself! I have noticed that you ALWAYS take the time to inform and explain stuff to anyone who asks. Very commendable attitude on your part.

Secondly, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't recovery to a stock mod apart of the unrevoked 3.2 process? Meaning after unrevoked 3.2 and your phone reboots you should be running a stock froyo evo on the latest ota build. No?
Yes. Rooting alone does not change your rom. You will still ber on stock except you will have super user permission. You will then have to decide which rom you want to flash. I am sticking with stock for now.

Upvote 0
i installed the hboot driver successfully and then i reboot my phone right after i install it. I plug it in and have it on 'debugging mode', run unrevoked 3.2 and i keep getting this message "waiting for device. plug phone in now and enable debugging...." WHat am i doing wrong? i think im missing a step or something.

Upvote 0
ok so im rooted with unrevoked 3 and im on 2.1 the only reason i root is for my wireless tethering...

now my question is what steps should i take to upgrade to 2.2 and root with this method.. im on a mac..

i should add that i dont wanna wipe my phone....

thanks to anyone that can help...

there is no reliable way to upgrade to a 2.2 rom without doing a full wipe, you could do it but most likely will have issues. Your best bet if you don't want to wipe is to upgrade to a completely stock 2.2 sense rom, but even then the majority of users said that a wipe was required to eliminate all the bugs.

edit: n/m just saw you successfully flashed without having to wipe.

Upvote 0
i installed the hboot driver successfully and then i reboot my phone right after i install it. I plug it in and have it on 'debugging mode', run unrevoked 3.2 and i keep getting this message "waiting for device. plug phone in now and enable debugging...." WHat am i doing wrong? i think im missing a step or something.

Thats when you plug phone in, not prior.

1 install hboot (you have to plug phone in for that)
2 unplug phone & reboot comp (just to be safe)
3 with phone unplugged run 3.2
4 when asked by 3.2 then plug phone in
5 sit back for about 3 mins while the magic happens. phone will reboot a few times.

Upvote 0
I actually can't verify this myself, since I'm already rooted. But if you run unrevoked3.2, reboot, and you see the superuser icon in your app drawer, you are all set. No need to flash a stock ROM at that point.

there is no reliable way to upgrade to a 2.2 rom without doing a full wipe, you could do it but most likely will have issues. Your best bet if you don't want to wipe is to upgrade to a completely stock 2.2 sense rom, but even then the majority of users said that a wipe was required to eliminate all the bugs.

edit: n/m just saw you successfully flashed without having to wipe.
Actually, what you wrote is still relevant. Most people can upgrade to 2.2 without wiping, and it appears to be fine. But a few days after using it, most people noticed things not working right. And the way to resolve it is to factory reset. So... If anyone just upgraded to 2.2 and battery life sucks, or wifi/tethering is broken, etc, you may need to wipe your phone and rebuild your apps/settings from scratch. Short term suckage, but long term pwnage.

Upvote 0
If you have issues with wifi tether maintaining a connection with your computer(s), you may want to flash a custom kernel. I recommend this one:

Revision 4.1.8-cfs edition

save that .zip to your sdcard. then boot into recovery and flash zip from SD card. Along with wifi tether enabling features, you also get a much needed fps/tracking boost. Make a nandroid backup before you flash the kernel, so you can restore if anything goes wrong (unlikely). No hurry. whenever you feel comfy doing stuff like this :)

i backed up my rooted 2.2 rom with rom manager after i flashed it...is that ok?

i read what you posted and it says that this kernel fixes the fps..what steps should i take to flash this kernel? or do i just flash it through recovery?

thanks for your help...that fps fix is the only thing keeping me :( at the moment

edit: i just flashed the kernel through recovery...how would i know if it worked

Upvote 0
I actually can't verify this myself, since I'm already rooted. But if you run unrevoked3.2, reboot, and you see the superuser icon in your app drawer, you are all set. No need to flash a stock ROM at that point.

Actually, what you wrote is still relevant. Most people can upgrade to 2.2 without wiping, and it appears to be fine. But a few days after using it, most people noticed things not working right. And the way to resolve it is to factory reset. So... If anyone just upgraded to 2.2 and battery life sucks, or wifi/tethering is broken, etc, you may need to wipe your phone and rebuild your apps/settings from scratch. Short term suckage, but long term pwnage.

thanks... i successfully flashed the rooted 2.2 rom but if i see anything wrong i wont have any other choice than to wipe... hopefully i wont have to...

Upvote 0
so i flashed the netarchy kernel through recovery and ran a test with fps2d and i got 52

im guessing it worked... im about to try wireless tethering and see if it doesnt disconnect evry couple of minutes like before...

i gotta admit i dont know anything about kernels but im glad i flashed this one

btw thanks to surfologist87 for helping me unroot my phone and novox77 for the kernel

my phone is runnin smoothly :D

Reactions: surfologist87
Upvote 0
so i flashed the netarchy kernel through recovery and ran a test with fps2d and i got 52

im guessing it worked... im about to try wireless tethering and see if it doesnt disconnect evry couple of minutes like before...

i gotta admit i dont know anything about kernels but im glad i flashed this one

btw thanks to surfologist87 for helping me unroot my phone and novox77 for the kernel

my phone is runnin smoothly :D

Im glad you like it :D
My buddy has an Evo and he was on mine earlier and said "Your evo is faster than mine....!"

Reactions: jerryr88
Upvote 0
total noob here. But I really want to root this phone. I dl'ed the unrevoked 3 from this thread. Thought all I needed to do was open the file and plug in the phone. Sadly I am seeing this is not the case. Keeps saying "waiting for the device." Can someone point me in the direction for steps do use 3.2? BIG thanks. This forum has been really helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones