• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unrEVOked 3.21 and flashing roms question...! :-)

jim_h

Android Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2010
Halifax, England
Hi all,

I'm sorry for spamming the board over the last couple of days, I ran into a few minor problems when trying to root and flash a rom. I'm a glutton for punishment though :eek:

I have a simple question for you this time. Yay!!

I'm currently running Froyo after running the RUU: RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8_Radio_32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20_release_140022_signed.exe
as per teppic74's thread over here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

My desire has HBOOT 083 - which I know can be problematic when flashing.

My question is:
Is the unrEVOked v3.21 method of getting the new recovery menu the best/easiest/most reliable way to enable me to flash new roms on my phone? Are there any caveats? Anything I should be aware of beforehand?
(ok, that's more than one question, sorry)

According to teppic74's thread, this version of Froyo cannot be rooted at the moment, which I'm not bothered about anyway. But, it would be nice to try some of those lovely new roms :D

Told you it would be a simple question :p

Thank you kindly,
Jim

It can be rooted now, with the new version of unrevoked3 released a couple of days ago. I'll update the thread to mention that.
Great stuff! I'll root again then :D

I'm not sure why you think HBOOT 0.83 is any problem, it's not. (Though if you upgraded with that RUU, you'll actually have 0.92.)
I read somewhere on XDA that 083 had caused some people problems, but I can't remember why now.

You're right, I'm not on 083 any more. It's now showing as 093 and the radio is also now up to v5.09. It was 4 before.

Thanks teppic74 :)

EDIT: Just replaced recovery and rooted with the latest unrEVOked. It went perfectly and I have just done a nandroid backup. My next mission is to partition my sd card and start playing with roms.

The only thing I can't do is a titanium backup because BusyBox won't work. I really want a proper snapshot of my phone running Froyo as I have it set up now.

Upvote 0
Reactions: jim_h
Upvote 0
You don't really need a snapshot of the phone as it is, as you can just run the RUU to restore it to that (minus root).
Ah, ok. And then use something like app monster to reinstall what I had.

If you want to install a rooted version of froyo with busybox but pretty much nothing else, see the first link here:

[ROM] [21/09] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) [Optional mods] - xda-developers

(Note that you can't install A2SD+ on the first ROM)
I'm very tempted to try this with the powersaving modpack. I have my setInstallLocation set to 2 already, so I'm not really fussed about A2SD+.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones