• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked 3 and Flashing A Rom

jborell3

Lurker
Oct 19, 2010
I recently used Unrevoked 3 on my htc EVO to root it so i could download the free wifi tether app. I decided i want to do more with it and flash a rom.
I installed Rom Manager v3.0.0.7 and flashed the Clockwork Mod Recovery v3.0.0.5 and then did the BACKUP CURRENT ROM OPTION.

My phone now is
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: 2.15.00.11.19
Kenernal Version: 2.6.32.17-gee557fd
htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
Build number: 3.70.651.1 CL294884 release-keys
Software Number: 3.70.651.1
Browser Version: WebKit 3.1
PRI Version: 1.90_003
PRL VersionL 60678

I want to know if i can just go into the rom manager app and download the ROM Fresh Evo 3.5.0.1 and then using rom manager select install from SD card. Will this work?

First off, welcome to the forums!

As a suggestion, if you haven't read it already, you might want to read the Rooting for Dummies thread. It has alot of information about flashing in the "after rooting" section.

I have never used Rom Manager for anything other than to flash the alternate recovery as my understanding is that Rom manager and Clockwork recovery are both a bit buggy. I have always done everything manually through hboot and recovery.

My suggestion would be to switch your recovery to either Clockwork 2.6.0.1 or Amon RA 2.3 as the 3.0.x.x are meant for a newer scripting that will be used in up coming releases. You should be able to download and flash Fresh through Rom Manager the way you asked. It appears that you have the updated radios so you should be good to go after that.

you learn alot in the process of doing it manually and it helps if you ever get into trouble somewhere along the way. Good luck and if you have any questions, ask....there are many on here that are willing to help.

Upvote 0
yeah like it was said before you should flash clockwork 2.6.01 or amon ra 2.3. you can find the pc36img file here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

after that i would really recommend that you find the rom that you want over here:HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

transfer the file the root of your sd card and flash it through recovery. rom manager is just the front end of clockwork mod which can be buggy and can create problems you do not want. i use amon ra and have had zero problems and it is super easy to use.

if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
Ok, just followed the information in rooting for dummies and was able to succeesfully flash the Fresh ROM, Im glad it worked this time. I tried it on my other evo and totally screwed the thing up. but im running smooth. Can i use the same method to flash Cyanogen 6.1?

What was the method you used? Rom Manager app? Or did you flash the fresh rom from recovery?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones