1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unrevoked Custom Recovery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xtremedays, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert

I have been asked to root a friends Evo. I downloaded the current version of Unrevoked and ran it just as a test make sure I had a good download. I noticed that in the File dropdown menu there is an option for custom recovery. Would I be able to substitute AmonRA there with the recovery zips that Akazabam put into his thread about them?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

Yes you can, I am not exactly sure on how to do it though, but I do know that after you run unrevoked you can move the RA PC36IMG.zip to you SD card then boot into hboot (power off then hold power+volume down until a white screen pops up) and it will search for an update then just tell it yes and it will install RA. When you move the file just make sure it is named exactly PC36IMG.zip.

3. Xtremedays

Thanks Urge. I have done that in the past. I am wondering though if you can have unrevoked flash the Amon RA recovery instead of the default Clockwork by changing that setting in Unrevoked before rooting. If so, would you just have to select the PC36IMG.zip for that particular recovery from the files on my computer.

4. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

I can't remember if you just use a regular PC36IMG or if you have to have it saved as a different file. I think if you go to Unrevokeds website they may have something about it in the FAQ.

Xtremedays likes this.
  5. Xtremedays

Found the Q&A for Unrevoked. It says that I need to select an .img file rather than a .zip file. I should then be able to pull the .img file from the new RA release and use that then correct?

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Right, so what you need to do is get the RA img file. You can get it out of one of the PC36IMG.zip files, if you like, as they are just .img files, or you can get it directly from here. It's the exact same thing. In reflash_package, select the option for custom recovery, then select the img file. Honestly, it doesn't matter if you do it this way, or just flash RA later. Both are fairly easy. If you decide to do it after, you can use the PC36IMG.zip file or you can flash it through ROM manager (not sure if it's gotten the RA 2.3 update yet or not).

Xtremedays likes this.
  7. luigic81

luigic81 Android Enthusiast

I just helped root my buddies EVO yesterday with unrevoked, just downloaded rom manager once rooted and chose flash alternate recovery, done and done :)

8. Xtremedays

I have thought of that also. He is the kind that likes to play with the different apps on his phone and I would rather not give him something that could possible screw up his phone and I have to fix ;)

I will likely try to put the custom recovery in when I root just too see how it works. If it is unsuccessful, I will just flash it from Hboot and be done with it. Thanks for the info though.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews