1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Unrevoked User Just Wants OTA Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zadillo, Feb 23, 2011.

1. zadillo

zadillo Newbie

Hi,

So, I'm currently running my EVO with Unrevoked 3.21. Software number 3.29.651.5.

I only rooted using Unrevoked primarily to be able to use wireless tether. Haven't messed around with doing new ROMs or anything like that.

So right now basically all I want is the OTA, which I'm not getting regularly notified is available (I mainly just want it for Swype).

Can someone tell me the simplest way to get the OTA while maintaining root? I understand that I can't just accept the OTA update (and in fact it failed when I tried)....... ideally I don't want to mess around with a completely new ROM or lose any data.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. disastar

disastar Well-Known Member

This may not be an ideal solution, but you should be able to backup all your apps and settings using Titanium Backup and then flash a completely stock ROM (Sprint Lovers, for example) to bring you to 3.70 with Swype, etc. After flashing, just restore your apps and settings and you'll have a completely updated phone running the latest OTA with no data loss. Of course, you should make a nandroid backup prior to flashing for recovery purposes. This method is pretty easy, straightforward, and foolproof but does require flashing.

3. zadillo

zadillo Newbie

K. I guess I'm not too adventurous so I have to admit I'd been hoping to avoid this - but it sounds like perhaps the only thing I can really do at this point (short of losing root) would be to go ahead and give this a try. I do have Titanium Backup but haven't actually used it to do a full backup like this. I also have ROM Manager but similarly have never used it for the purposes of actually installing a new ROM.

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

The correct way to do this is to basically do what disastar said - update to a 3.70 based ROM. You will also need to flash the latest radios, unless you update using the Sprint Lovers all-in-one update, which includes the ROM and radios. See the Rooting for Dummies guide - section 6 under after rooting for specific instructions if you are already clear on it.

That being said, there is *sort of* a way to go about this without any data loss, but I do *not*, repeat do *not* recommend doing this. It leaves you will no real way to backup correctly, and will make all your previous nandroid backups useless. What you'd have to do is:

1) Flash the stock recovery
    2) Accept the OTA update
    3) Reflash a custom recovery
    4) Reroot your ROM with z4root (which you can do, as you won't have lost S-OFF)

The problem with doing this is that it updates your hboot version along with everything else. Even if you make a nandroid backup before starting, it will be useless if anything goes wrong. You need to keep the same hboot for nandroid backups to work. That being said, any previous nandroid backups you made prior would not work. This method is *relatively* safe since unrevoked can root all current hboot versions, but I am making *zero* promises that it will work exactly as I have written it above. In theory, it will allow you to keep all your data - in theory. Note that this method is absolutely out of the question if updating to a new OTA version that has not yet been rooted. You'd be leaving yourself with no room for error. You really should consider updating manually. A clean slate is a much better options. Along those lines, you should restore only apps and app data that you know you need. You should change all settings manually. Yes, it takes a while, but you'll avoid potential issues.

novox77 and disastar like this.
  5. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Historically, the method that akazabam presented and highly discouraged caused lots of people a lot of grief. Plus, it's SO much more complicated than just flashing a rooted stock 3.70 ROM, a very low-risk procedure once you get familiar with it. In fact, I think this is a good chance for you to learn the process, since it's one of the most popular perks of rooting a phone.

I won't go through the details; you can read the sticky threads for that. But basically you'll need to get familiar with the following:

1) backing up and restoring your apps and data with an app like MyBackup or Titanium

2) booting into the bootloader (hold down power and vol-down while phone is off)

3) using the recovery image to:
    a. do a nandroid backup and restore
    b. flash .zip (ROMs)

It's actually quite simple, especially once you're comfortable with doing nandroid backup and restore. It's common for me to get my phone stuck in a boot loop (a semi-bricked state) while experimenting with certain customizations. All I do is pull the battery to shut the phone off, then boot into the bootloader, go to recovery, and restore a nandroid backup image.