1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Unrevoked waiting for device

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rajat2615, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Rajat2615

Rajat2615 Newbie

ok so ive been to a bunch of forums and googled different things but i am still having trouble rooting my evo with unrevoked.

i have a windows computer and i followed the instructions for that
    i installed the hboot driver (multiple times)
    i dont have htc sync installed
    i enabled debugging
    when i opened the unrevoked thing it shows up and says waiting for device and doesnt recognize it everrrrr! its super frustrating because i have followed all the directions well and done each step many times it still wont work..i even tried to use it on my friends mac in which it said htc sync not installed on pc and was not working there either...i feel like ive tried everything but i hope someone here has an answer for me. i will greattttttly appreciate it if someone has an asnwer or an alternate simple way to root it.

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert

You are plugging the phone in after starting unrevoked, correct? Have you tried a different cable or a different usb port on the computer? You might try and delete unrevoked and redownload as you might have gotten a bad download.

Does your computer recognize it normally to allow access to the sd card?

3. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast

Only thing I can think of is, put the phone in hboot, install the drivers, turn the phone on in normal mode, install the drivers again..

Whether the phone is in hboot, or normal mode, when you plug it in, your phone should recognize it and there should be something about android phone under device manager.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

have tried to install htc sync then uninstall it. you just need the drivers from htc sync. i know this has worked for some people.

5. Rajat2615

Rajat2615 Newbie

ok im gonna try those suggestions and let you guys know what happens...thanks for the quick reply tho

6. Rajat2615

Rajat2615 Newbie

quick question when i install htc sync...and then uninstall it...wont the drivers from htc sync be uninstalled as well

7. Rajat2615

Rajat2615 Newbie

wow it finally recognized it and so far unrevoked is doing its thingg!...now what should i do first with my phone rooted??

8. Rajat2615

Rajat2615 Newbie

ok now it said error is your firmware too new?...this has got to be the most frustrating thign ever...any ideas?

9. Xtremedays

Read the Rooting for Dummies. I think they address this in there under the Rooting heading.

Actually it looks like it is the second post. Factory reset your phone and try it again. I think that is under setting>privacy>factory reset

10. Rajat2615

Rajat2615 Newbie

Ok i read that and it told me to factory reset my device...my questions is will i lose my data nad everything on my phone if i do this? and how exactly do i factory reset it

11. Xtremedays

Factory reset will delete all of the user data on your phone and reset it. If you are planning on flashing a Rom, you will lose all of your data anyway other than what is stored on your sd card. Go to Setting, privacy, factory reset

12. ODog2323

ODog2323 Android Enthusiast

What were the results of these couple troubleshooting tipe?? I'm stuck at the same place, with UnrEVOked "waiting for device..."

13. suchanoob

suchanoob Member

i was stuck there for a minute as well.. then realized i forgot this step:

(NOTE: HTC Sync may actually help you ROOT your device if you run into problems.
    Download: HTC SYNC - 38.9 MB
    Install it, run the program, then uninstall it. All you really want HTC SYNC for is the Drivers.)

after that, it was smooth sailing..

ODog2323 likes this.
  14. MDtoka

MDtoka Newbie

I have a question, I got through successfully installing the drivers, and when I got to the final step of opening the reflash, and then plugging in phone (so it goes to bootloader) all works and when I hit hboot usb or whatever it reboots my phone, but then unrevoked said failed to flash recovery image!

edit: and I feel like the drivers worked because when I go to device manager, android 1.0 or whatever isn't there anymore

15. Xtremedays

So unrevoked fail to complete but it got through part of the process? Can you go to hboot and see if you have s-off? If so, you can finish the rest of the process manually

16. MDtoka

MDtoka Newbie

Yeah like it reads my device, and goes into bootloader, but it still says S-on at the top. But when I hit hboot usb it just says recovery image failed.

Does this not work with newer versions? I just got my phone a month ago, its like 3.7

17. Xtremedays

Did you read the rooting for dummies thread at the top of the forum? Unrevoked should be doing all of the work through adb. You should be starting the reflash program then make sure your phone is booted, usb debugging is on under setting>applications>development and when you plug in your phone makes sure it is set to charging only. You should get a popup from unrevoked on your pc....click ok and it should start running root on your phone.

It works with all current hboot versions(2.10 being the newest).

3.70 is the updated stock rom version that came on the phone

18. MDtoka

MDtoka Newbie

Yes I followed each step, started reflash, then made sure debugging was checked, and plugged my phone in. Not sure what I'm doing wrong
    But I don't get any pop up to hit ok, it just starts doing its thing in the reflash program

19. Xtremedays

You had it set to charging only? Have you tried to re-run it a second time?

20. MDtoka

MDtoka Newbie

I was following the video from unlockr.com, is that correct? I think it said unrevoked 3.2

Yup set it to charging only and tried to repeat the process several times

21. Xtremedays

What hboot version do you have? You downloaded unrevoked from unrevoked correct?

22. MDtoka

MDtoka Newbie

yeah it was from their site, Hboot version 2.10 and my radio is 2.15 could that be the problem?

23. Xtremedays

No, hboot 2.10 is the newest version and unrevoked works on that one. I rooted my wife's phone 2 weeks ago and her's is 2.10 with no issues at all. Have you tried to redownload Unrevoked? Maybe you got a bad download for some reason.

24. MDtoka

MDtoka Newbie

So i tried to download it again, and I can't seem to figure out how to extract the files in the reflash package now. Like before when I extracted, and actaully ran the reflash inside the package is where it took me to bootloader...but then later failed. But now I just have the reflash package but can't extract it, and when I run reflash from just the package it doesn't take me to bootloader, just says rooting and then restarts my phone, but then goes into a continous loop of that:thinking:

25. Xtremedays

If you right click on the zip file from unrevoked and click extract all, does it unzip the folder for you?

Scratch that. Unrevoked should download as an EXE file that you just doubt click to run, is that how it downloaded?

Are you trying this on a Mac or Windows pc?