• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *Unroot 2.2* 3.29.651.5 10/20/10

Ok, this worked for me as of 10/20/10, i had my phone rooted by unrevoked, I am like many of the people here who kept having issues with all the PC36IMG.zip not working. I have extracted a new PC36IMG.zip from the ruu's and have not had any issues. I also had the dreaded "main version is older" issue. This seemed to take care of the issue! Im now back to stock!

Step 1 you will need to go here:
http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip

If you used Unrevoked Forever at any time, flash unrevoked-forever-son.zip from recovery until hboot shows S-ON(Credit to djR3Z's xda tut)

Step 2

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=108Z9R8Y

This is the PC36IMG.zip file that you will need
- Put this on the root of your sdcard
- Boot into hboot and let it load up the PC36IMG.zip
- It will run like a normal update
- Reboot when finished
- It will do a few other things (Load radio and update)
- After it fully loads you should be back to complete stock!!!!

Lemme know if this doesn't work for you

LIKE I SAID THIS WORKED AS OF 10/20/2010!!!

I am not responsible for damages to your phone! You chose to go the route you did, so face the consequences, I'm just posting what has worked for me, so use at your own risk! Love the android, love my evo!

forgive me but how is this any different than step 7 here

or what's posted on xda here

your post almost seems to indicate this is new info....

again...just curious, as the information/instruction has been around for a bit in the rooting thread on this page and over at xda

The only thing new is he posted an updated pc36img.zip. People who rooted with unrevoked after accepting the ota were having problems unrooting with the previous zip.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
The only thing new is he posted an updated pc36img.zip. People who rooted with unrevoked after accepting the ota were having problems unrooting with the previous zip.

Correct, People were not able to use the pc36img.zip that was out after accepting the 3.29 update and then rooting with unrevoked. I too was having issues and wanted a way to unroot incase my phone were to mess up. but non of the ways out there were working for me, so this is what got me unrooted.

Upvote 0
Ok so my question (for anyone else that wants to chime in), is there a rom/kernel update that ALREADY incorperates the 3.29.651.5 update so I dont have to unroot, then (re)root my phone. That just burns my nerves, thats all. EVO 4G. S-OFF as of now.

And also, I used unrevoked from the website, not directly from the phone

Upvote 0
Ok so my question (for anyone else that wants to chime in), is there a rom/kernel update that ALREADY incorperates the 3.29.651.5 update so I dont have to unroot, then (re)root my phone. That just burns my nerves, thats all. EVO 4G. S-OFF as of now.

And also, I used unrevoked from the website, not directly from the phone

Some people have suggested flashing a rom that incorporates the new update so i assume that it is available. XDA might have something over there for you.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones