• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unroot and reroot?

So I admit it... I got caught up in the Easy Root hype. I've been wanting to root anyway and this pushed me over the edge. I am now running rooted with CyanogenMod RC6 and their Nextheme. Right now, I'm lovin it.

However... I keep reading horror stories of people who rooted with Easy Root and it makes me wonder if tomorrow I will go to turn on my phone and it will be... not a brick, but close to it.

Question is... at this point, would it be better to un-root my phone and then re-root it, doing it the conventional way? Is there any way to test that my root with Easy Root was completely successful and stable, making this unnecessary? I just cant live with the anxiety!! ;)

So I admit it... I got caught up in the Easy Root hype. I've been wanting to root anyway and this pushed me over the edge. I am now running rooted with CyanogenMod RC6 and their Nextheme. Right now, I'm lovin it.

However... I keep reading horror stories of people who rooted with Easy Root and it makes me wonder if tomorrow I will go to turn on my phone and it will be... not a brick, but close to it.

Question is... at this point, would it be better to un-root my phone and then re-root it, doing it the conventional way? Is there any way to test that my root with Easy Root was completely successful and stable, making this unnecessary? I just cant live with the anxiety!! ;)

A sticky would be nice on this issue, see my post. lol.

Upvote 0
If you got Cyanogen running you have nothing to worry about this point :)

I think most of the "horror stories" were related to getting a custom firmware installed -- probably based on some people not taking flashing a firmware/recovery seriously and doing the research before they started. Not necessary an issue with the method of rooting but I know some will disagree with me.

In anycase, it's not going to hurt if you start from scratch and root the conventional way by flashing a rooted firmware,

I also wanted to point out the unroot button in EasyRoot, Androot or any "1-click" tools will not return your phone to the "factory" setup -- since you most likley also installed other software (like busybox) that goes into your /system -- The only way to get a true "factory reset" is using the method described in the sticky thread!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones