1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root unroot htc evo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dangitdarren, Oct 21, 2011.

1. dangitdarren

dangitdarren Lurker
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    i just got this dang phone today, which i bought off ebay. Apparently the phone has been rooted and i know nothing about this.. I attemepted to simply "restore to factory settings" and also choosing the option to erase pics and such from the sd card. I thought this would provide me some security of removing anything bad that might had been installed on the phone.. Now the phone boots to a colorful blank background with only the battery life, signal meter and time displayed at the top. It does not allow me to bring up any menu's and even to shut it off i must remove the battery. Ive been trying to research how to unroot the phone but i understand very little about what people are saying and i dont neccessarily mind that it was rooted i just want to be able to make a phone call again. I only had the phone activated for about a half hour (which was working fine) before i made the regretable decision of trying to "clean the phone". If someone could help me with some simple instruction it would be greatly appreciated. My only other option is going to be taking it to a sprint store tomorrow so they can tell me personally they wont help because of the voided warranty.

Advertisement

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    First Welcome to the forums :)

You will want to start by reading the Rooting for Dummies Guide Your problems can be solved by flashing a new ROM. Also People in here are always eager to help. You wont find the "did you search for it" type attitude. For rooting issues you may want to post your future concerns in the All Things Root section. You're liable to get answers quicker by going to the right places :)

Now you only believe the phone is rooted correct? To confirm when you turn the phone back on hold down the volume down button and the power button this should bring up the hboot screen. If fastboot is checked under the applications (i believe thats where its located) the above method wont work until you remove the check mark. anyways in hboot you should see S-off. S-off is Rooted, S-on is not.

dangitdarren and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i moved you to the rooting section.

also while you are on that screen, what is your hboot? it is found at the top of the hboot(bootloader screen).

dangitdarren likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    If holding volume down+ power doesnt get you to the HBOOT screen they are describing, pull the battery out of the phone, put it back in, and then hold volume down + power button untill the HBOOT screen appears.

If the phone was ROOTED and working properly, all you would need to do is flash a new ROM to erase anything that guy had potentially put on the device.

I would suggest downloading either MikG 2.58 or the stock sprint ROM if you would rather just go that route for now.
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html

MikG:
    Miks website seems to be down right now, ill give you the link when it comes back.

Stock ROM:
    [ROM][STOCK][Rooted] 4.53.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers

Superwipe:
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Directions for flashing a new ROM

Download and put the ROM and Superwipe file onto the root (this means not in any of the folders) of the SD card. You can use a card reader to put it on there.
    Go into your HBOOT screen (volume down+power)
    Select recovery
    Select wipe
    Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache, & Data ( at least once each, I do it 3 times each to make sure everything is wiped)
    Go back to the main recovery screen
    Flash zip from SD card
    Choose zip from SD card
    Find the superwipe file & flash it
    Find the ROM and flash it.
    Go back to main recovery screen & Reboot

Those directions use the terminology of the Amon RA recovery. If you have clockwork mod recovery you will find dalvik cache in teh advanced menu

Granite1, dangitdarren and ocnbrze like this.
  5. dangitdarren

dangitdarren Lurker
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    it says the following:

Supersonic EVT3 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT -6. 16. 1002
    MICROP-041f

Also this morning i was receiving calls and was able to see the number calling in the small area at the top of the screen where the battery life etc. is displayed but could not answer.

By the way thank you both for being kind and trying to help me resolve this problem.. I am still researching the internet and trying to learn the concept of "rooting"

6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    ok so here are some more reading for you:
    start with this one:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

and here are some more:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/347271-htc-evo-4g-rooting-essentials-here.html

dangitdarren likes this.
  7. dangitdarren

dangitdarren Lurker
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    Thank you for the detailed information!! I am downloading the files now... wish me luck!

8. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    Yep! good luck!

dangitdarren and ocnbrze like this.
  9. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    good luck if you have any problems ask us we will guide you through. We are a community. There are all kinds of ROMS out there so welcome to the world of endless possibility's :D

dangitdarren, ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
Tags: