1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unroot question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hokiescoot, Feb 16, 2019.

1. hokiescoot

hokiescoot Member

So my employer has Bring Your Own Device apps that would be useful to me. My issue is that it says cannot function on a rooted device. Also, must have a recent android security patch. If I take a system update will this unroot my phone and will the phone still work or will it brick it?

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Don't know about Motorola(Lenovo), but most manufacturers will NOT attempt to push and flash their OTA updates on phones that are rooted and modified. Because they don't know how or what's been changed in the firmware by the user, and so there's a very real chance of the update failing, very likely resulting in a bricked phone.

Think you'll need to flash it back yourself to unrooted stock Moto E4 firmware, one that has recent Android security updates in it, if you wish to BYOD.

#2 mikedt, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    bcrichster, hokiescoot and psionandy like this.
  3. hokiescoot

hokiescoot Member

I was still getting a nag screen for a system update for awhile after rooting. I stopped that with a disable service app. That is why I was thinking maybe I could enable it again and take the system update. I did not really modify anything just installed adaway and disabled a few services. Other than that I am on the stock rom if that makes a difference? I may just updgrade to a Moto e5. Thank you.

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Are you certain you are rooted?

5. hokiescoot

hokiescoot Member

Yes I am rooted. Adaway and Disable Services are installed and I get the toast notifications from superuser. I also do not get any ads on apps that have ads on other devices.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

It may not let you actually apply the update though. Because I'm pretty sure what happens is before flashing an update, it does an integrity check-sum of what's already there, and if it doesn't match what it expects because of the presence of other stuff like SuperSU in system, the update won't happen.

7. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

Don't do it. Has to be 100% total stock in order for any updates to go thru. You can manually install your factory FirmWare via PC & fastboot method quite easily. Also, October or November 2018 are the latest security patches available for the Moto E4 'perry'. @Dannydet MTK versions for Moto E4 don't exist in the Americas, we have Qualcomm here. The Moto E5 series are decent as well, just very little Development available

8. hokiescoot

hokiescoot Member

Thank you!