1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Unroot without returning to stock?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RawrMyRose, Nov 17, 2011.

1. RawrMyRose

RawrMyRose Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    Help? I really want to unroot my phone so I can update to gingerbread but I don't want to return to stock. I have a lot of apps and contacts! Please help? i have an epic 4g

Advertisement

2. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    Male
    Writer, Studio Musician, Editor
    From what I've read, you can't just return to stock and keep your apps and data. Many rooted apps won't run on stock Android, many Froyo apps won't run on Gingerbread, etc. The advice I've read so far is to back up your *data only*, use an app sharing utility to email yourself a list of the apps you're using, and download them all again (if they still work on GB) once you've Odin'd back to stock.

Even if you decide to use a GB ROM later, you're going to have to go through this anyway. Back up your data, have a sharing utility email you a list of your apps, and drag and drop all your data to your computer as a backup to your backup. That's what I'll be doing tonight.

3. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    Also, depending on what you have done with your phone since rooting, (i.e removing bloatware, installing custom recovery, etc) you may still be able to apply the GB update without any issue.

Your best bet would to use something like Ti Backup or MyBackup to create a backup (or at the very minimum do a Nandroid backup), so whether you flash back to stock, or are bold and try applying the update as is, you can at least recover your apps and data without much trouble...