• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unrooted Droid DNA stuck in boot loop of death, trying to recover files

I have an Unrooted DNA running Android 4.4.2 and sense 5.5. Last night my phone just automatically rebooted on me twice. The first time it came up, it got past the splash screen and into the OS, but before I had a chance to back up my data, it rebooted again. After that it's now stuck in a boot loop, I cant get passed the htc splash screen.

I have seen this problem with other models but my problem has a slight tweak:

I can't do a factory reset or recovery. I can get to the HBoot screen, but that is where things go south. If I choose recovery, I should see another sub menu, but instead the phone just reboots and goes back to the loop. If I choose factory reset, the phone freezes, nothing happens. I have to do a hard shut down and then enter the HBoot menu again.

I have pretty much given up hope on recovering the phone or getting it back to working order. What I would like to do is just recover the files from the phone. I believe this is possible if I use ADB and browse to the files manually?

Here is what I have done:

(EDIT: I forgot to mention, that in order to get the computer to recognize my phone, I had to use the fastboot option on the recovery screen. When I plug it in to my computer, it says, "fastboot USB" and then is recognized by device manager as an android ADB device.)

Windows 7 was not properly recognizing my device, so I downloaded PDANet, that installed the proper driver, now my phone shows up as "Android ADB interface" in device manager.

I installed the SDK according to some handy guides. When I run "ADB devices" the command prompt does not see my phone, so I am stuck. Remember, I can't get to the OS and enable "debugging mode" (Although I think I had turned it on, but now I can't recall.) How can I get ADB to see my phone?

(Edit: I found out that the "Android ADB interface" was the generic driver. I found the proper HTC driver and now my phone shows up in device manager as "My HTC" under Android phones.)

Can anyone recommend where to go from here? Is this even worth all the time and effort? Will I be able to navigate to the directory to retrieve my photos and videos?

~Frustrated :mad:

Hey Bjorn, I fixed the thread because I neglected to mention that. In order to get my computer to recognize the device, I had to choose fastboot. When I do this, it turns on the USB driver and connects to my computer. So yes, I can get to fastboot, when I plug it in it changes from fastboot to "Fastboot USB" - I even installed a working HTC driver, but ADB still won't see the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones