1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Unrooting and keep changes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SamsungPathos, Aug 6, 2010.

1. SamsungPathos

SamsungPathos New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    So from what i gather the unrooting changes the stock firmware or w/e and allows superuser permissions.

My question is if i root my phone to remove the AT&T bloatware installed and then unroot my phone, do i get to keep the changes? And do i run the risk of bricking my phone or have it red-flagged if or rather when in the future AT&T/Samsung updates come with froyo and all the other good stuff?

Sorry if this has been asked, i did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Advertisement

2. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    It doesn't change any firmware. It just adds an app that gives you the option for root/superuser access to the phone. It can be easily removed. I swapped out my release day phone today after unrooting with no problems. When I removed the AT&T bloatware I made sure to rename the app files. I renamed them back today before returning the phone.

SamsungPathos likes this.
  3. SamsungPathos

SamsungPathos New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Oh okay, i must have misunderstood or misread.

Just for clarification then, will my phone be able to accept AT&T/Samsung updates even if it's rooted?

4. c2k

c2k Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Aerial applicator services
    Roseville, CA
    From what Ive read, you can accept OTA updates, but it will unroot your phone. So you will have to wait for someone to re-root the phone to use all of the features/programs of rooting. Generally it seems that once the update is released, devs will extract that and make it available in a form that wont unroot your phone.

5. sgennuso

sgennuso Active Member

Aug 19, 2010
    My question is.....after I root my phone(which I did, took 15 secs' tops!!) and the froyo 2.2 update comes OTA, will the at&t bloatware apps I uninstalled with Titanium Backup show back up?

6. jhnstn00

jhnstn00 Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    South Texas

sgennuso likes this.